Health Insurance Best emergency healthcare for kids?

Blackrock1

Apologies if the wrong forum but seemed to make the most sense. The arrival of our second baby has reminded me that I need to think about where we would go if she was to be Sick out of hours. With my first we would have gone to swift care but that’s only available to vhi customers now.

I have an excellent corporate health plan so cost isn’t an issue but is there any thing similar in Dublin to swift care ?

What are the options in the middle of the night if you have a child that needs urgent medical care? I’d rather leave going into hospital as a last resort . Based in south county Dublin if that matters

You will probably have more doctors/medical staff available in hospitals. I have been in Vincents A&E a few times and have found them good. Avoid like the plague on Friday & Saturday nights as it's full of drunks

Yes I know about eastdoc and dldoc is even closer, we were never in hospital with the first so would like to avoid where possible !

Can you bring a baby to a and e in Vincent’s ? Presume not?

Is going private any advantage?

VHI Swiftcare dont treat children under 12 months and if you look at the list of what they do and don't treat, they are not an alternative to A&E for a seriously ill child.

If a child needs medical care immediately, either your GPs out of hours service or A&E are the alternatives.

Can you bring a baby to a and e in Vincent’s ? Presume not?

Of course you can, its emergency care.
Tallaght have a dedicated pediatrics Emergency department. I've only had to go there once, and it was during the day. I dont know whats its like at night, but presume its not full of drunks.

http://www.tuh.ie/Emergency-Services/Children-s-Emergency-Department/

If a child is sick at night, you either ring the GPs out of hours service who will send out a GP or if you think its serious enough, goto A&E.
if a child is sick enough to need emergency care, they need to see a doctor trained in emergency care. For all its faults, A&E is where those doctors are.

Hopefully, its an acedemic discussion and will never happen.

Thanks All, must have mixed up what age my daughter was when we went to swift care.

So looks like my best options are :

DL doc or east doc and if more serious Vincent’s or tallaght

I know I’m probably stating the obvious - but if it’s an emergency, call an ambulance. The paramedics will start to assess and treat your child as soon as they arrive at your house. Treatment can continue on the ambulance, and the paramedics will get prompt attention (if it’s needed), as soon as you get to A and E.
I’ve driven to Temple St many times with mine - but I’ve also had to call an ambulance a few times.

DL doc or east doc
This is not a choice per se. The out of hours doc you have to contact depends on where your registered GP provides cover. It will either be East Doc (Vincents) or DL Doc (St Michael's). We have been to both as our doctor changed from one to the other and back again :) Personally I prefer East Doc !
Ask your doctor where their out of hours cover is, and put the number into your phone. You will need it at some stage in a hurry.
If you are not registered for a GP - register immediately and avail of the Under 6 GP card.
But you would only use this service when you want to go to a GP - nothing more serious !

I know VHI Swiftcare is closed now to non-VHI, but if you are with Laya there are two similar options opened in the last 6-8 months.
https://www.layahealthcare.ie/quickcare/
My Medical in Cherrywood probably the easiest and open from 10-10 Monday/Friday and 10/8 at weekends
Affidea in Tallaght are 10-10 365 days a year
Both take kids from 1 year old for certain types of injuries/illnesses.

if more serious Vincent’s or tallaght
No, you definitely can't - Vincent's emergency dept will not see anyone under 14 years of age:
Absolutely correct from @arbitron here. Vincent's does not take children under 14 years of age. The only realistic option is Tallaght ! It has a dedicated pediatrics unit for A&E. Private make very little difference in emergency pediatrics
Blackrock Clinic & Beacon A&E don't take children under 14/16 respectively

I know I’m probably stating the obvious - but if it’s an emergency, call an ambulance. The paramedics will start to assess and treat your child as soon as they arrive at your house. Treatment can continue on the ambulance, and the paramedics will get prompt attention (if it’s needed), as soon as you get to A and E.
This is very good advice. If it is a real emergency you need to call an ambulance - day or night !!

The only other bit of advice I would suggest is to consider a pediatric first aid course - reminds me I should probably do a refresher one !
http://www.stjohn.ie/first-aid-courses/baby-and-toddler-first-aid-course/

Back