Best dog for kids?

Bamhan

can anyone reccomend a good breed of dog to help turn two scared girls into animal lovers.
My two kids are scared witless of animals of all kinds but particularly dogs.
When we move we will have loads of space for a dog, or two and want to get the ideal pet that will be friendly for the kids so as to cure their phobia.
Anyone want to promote their canine buddy?

Golden Labradors are great as long as you have the Space for them and as always are willing to walk them. They are a very loyal dog and very playful even when they grow out of being pups. Although some peoples opnion is that they are not as intelligent as other breeds such as a collie, i disagree, with training,like any dog, will respond to any commands and are completly lovable and show their owners plenty of affection. And not to mention they are just adorable pups...think andrex adds...maybe your girls would feel better about a movie star dog...thats how my friend promoted her golden labrador to her terrified 5yr old son. "Look your doggie is on the tv!!! He's a famous dog!!"
If your looking for something smaller the breeds most families have are Jack russles, very playful and good guard dog
Cocker Spaniel again a good family dog a little quieter in temperment than a jack russell
The two dogs in my pinion to think twice on espically with young children are Terriers and Chuawawas..Scotish and yorkshire terriers are lovely dogs but do need alot of attention and get jealous easily and are more tempermantal and demanding than most breeds..from what ive seen and only in my opnion!! Same goes for the Chuwawas..very snappy dogs and time consuming both with their coats...regular treatment and brushing needed and with their affections.
Hope this helps , im not a vet nor do i take care of animals on a regulas basis but have been brought up with alot of dogs and other animals and have cared for many others. If in doubt you can always call the RCPCA or your local vet and ask their opinion.

I don't really know about breeds of dogs, but I did have a child who LONGED for a pet. We got a kitten from the DSPCA. Then I discovered the child who was about 6, was terrified at the same time as being totally fascinated. She was frightened of being scratched so we took it very carefully, with the newspaper spread across her lap, and a cushion on top of that. I put the kitten to sit there and daughter stroked the kitten. 2 days later she was completely fine. Just to say, take it slowly and easily, and remember kittens and puppies are excitable, have fine teeth and claws, and move suddenly - all of which can deter a nervous child. Hope this helps and good luck - I think every child should have a pet! They learn a lot from them and get a lot of fun too.

My kids are absolutely terrified of all animals.
My sister has a golden retriever, a complete pet and they will not even go to her house and are wary when my sister calls in case the dog is with her.
Cats and kittens are a big no no.
We have loads of space, not that much time though hence the two dogs idea as we are out a lot of the day.....

Sarah said:
Golden Labradors are great as long as you have the Space for them and as always are willing to walk them. They are a very loyal dog and very playful even when they grow out of being pups. Although some peoples opnion is that they are not as intelligent as other breeds such as a collie, i disagree, with training,like any dog, will respond to any commands and are completly lovable and show their owners plenty of affection. And not to mention they are just adorable pups...think andrex adds...maybe your girls would feel better about a movie star dog...thats how my friend promoted her golden labrador to her terrified 5yr old son. "Look your doggie is on the tv!!! He's a famous dog!!"
If your looking for something smaller the breeds most families have are Jack russles, very playful and good guard dog
Cocker Spaniel again a good family dog a little quieter in temperment than a jack russell
The two dogs in my pinion to think twice on espically with young children are Terriers and Chuawawas..Scotish and yorkshire terriers are lovely dogs but do need alot of attention and get jealous easily and are more tempermantal and demanding than most breeds..from what ive seen and only in my opnion!! Same goes for the Chuwawas..very snappy dogs and time consuming both with their coats...regular treatment and brushing needed and with their affections.
Hope this helps , im not a vet nor do i take care of animals on a regulas basis but have been brought up with alot of dogs and other animals and have cared for many others. If in doubt you can always call the RCPCA or your local vet and ask their opinion.

A Jack Russell is a terrier :confused: May be you could get your kids something like this :)

Friends of mine have 4 kids who were absolutely terrified of my parents dog. A neighbour of their was giving away sheep dog pups so they decided to get one and the kids absolutely adore it. We had a few labradors at home and they were always lovely dogs. I would think they're a bit big for small kids as they like to jump up on you and that can really frighten a little child. I'm not in to terriers myself as they always seem to strip their teeth at me and bark like mad!

A couple of years ago my dad adopted an unwanted sheepdog ( mongrel) pup. It is a bitch and is one of those dogs that cower around the place - with no good reason I might add since she is a big pet. It must be in the breed. She has a lovely nature and slinks around the place waiting to be petted and licks your hand ( and face if allowed). She is very quiet and gentle. I have two nephews who had been frightened of the previous dog ( who died of old age ) and who absolutely love this one. Everytime they visit they want to bring her home with them. She is such a gentle dog that she can be trusted with the grandchildren big and small, although of course no dog can ever be trusted completely. I would love to have a dog, but as myself and Mr.V work outside the home, it would be unfair on any dog.

DeMoirvre,I ment to specify yorkshire and scottish terriers but then again in my opinion i consider Jack Russells to be in a league of their own.:)
The sheepdog option is a good idea as i have heard alot of people say they have a very timid nature as well as being lovable. But again, no matter what size dog you get it will need to be walked daily for exercise and a change of scenery!!
But the bigger the dog the more exercise it will obviously need not to mention the more food it will eat..again its all personal preference..as long as you break the dog in and your children in gently introducing each other they should be fine. Many people say its benifical for the dog and young childen if you give the dog a blanket that smells of the kids to familirize it with who its new friends are going to be,therefore the dog should behave less frightened or agressive when they interact...just an idea though!;)

If your kids are so terrified of all animals then maybe they have a phobia which needs treatment and perhaps buying a pet for the family will simply do more harm (in terms of traumatising them) than good (in terms of familiarising them with animals to overcome their fears)?

My girls have grown up with a Cairn terrier bitch (Wizard of Oz mutt). Bought at 14 weeks and everyone still alive 11 years on. Does not include the budgies, hampsters or goldfish though.

Hi Bamhan
We had a similar problem with our kids being afraid of animals ... we started with 2 goldfish last year and progressed to 2 kittens a couple of months back ... which are adored ... we will eventually get a dog when the kids are bigger ... my advice, start small with a relatively undemanding pet and let them get used to the idea of caring for another creature and then progress to a dog.

Banham, when my kids were younger someone recomended one of these

[broken link removed]

He's now 7 and have to say has a great temperment. Another big plus is that the don't moult so they are fine in the house. Can't say they are the most intelligent but then again you can't have everything.........!

Might be hard enough to get one as the are very popular in Scandanavia and Germany and a lot are sold to those countries for breeding purposes.

Best of luck with your choice!
Roy

A bichon-frise (not sure of the spelling!)might be appropriate-they're supposed to be very patient and non-snappy-its the dog from Shrek2...! daithi

Some breed types have a reputation for gentleness.
Hoverever, all dogs have biting potential.
Two tips,
1) Small dog, small bite.
2) Robust, butty dogs will take child handling well.

Had a corgi-type mongrel once. Small, compact body, shortish legs.
Dealt in gradually escalating respone to heavy handed kids.Never broke skin.
Kids learnt fast...so did adults.

Thanks for the replies.
The kids were frightened by my brother in laws dog which was a terrier and very snappy and they were in the garden and of course he escaped and they ran and he gave chase and jumped and barked at them.
I had to carry them both indoors screaming.
The following day my sister's dog a golden retriever rushed out my mothers back door frightening them again.
Just an unfortunate chain of events which led them to be afraid of all dogs.
They were ok before that.
It has gotten out of hand now though as my oldest ran away from me, almost onto the road in a shopping centre car park when a dog came over to her.
She was hysterical.
I think the only way to cure them is to get them used to a dog.......
So thanks for all the opinions.
We want to do plenty of research to get this right so as not to cause any more trauma.

Back