Best creditcard to transfer to

H

holdfast

I have a debt of about 5000 on a Msc i have completed looking for the best creditcard to transfer it for. I will get a loan after that biut it would be great to get say six months at 0%. Thanks

going to give MBNA looks like they have 10 months on offer

going to give MBNA looks like they have 10 months on offer

I came here to ask the same question as you, but so far I have found three credit cards which will allow you to transfer your balance to them for 12 months interest free. This is from the MBNA website so is patently not impartial. However, it states clearly that the Irish Nurses Organisation, Liverpool soccer club and Munster rugby club offer the above 12 month interest free offer:

[broken link removed]

Given this, there must be more organisations offering 12 months?

I switched to MBNA recently on the promise of the 10 months interest free balance transfer.
My plan was clear the new purchases every month and pay off the transfer balance bit by bit.
However, they set any payments against the transfer balance and charged interest on the new purchases - ok I didn't read the small print so I guess it's my mistake but the only way to enjoy the interest free transfer is to buy nothing with the MBNA card and keep using your old card.

Can anyone advise what other cc companies offer 0% transfer's
I am currently with MBNA and my 0% term is ending soon. ?

I've looked at the key post - but the posts seem quiet old.

Check out the following link for an up-to-date listing of most of the credit card offers that are currently available:

http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/cs_tab_credit_card.htm

It is always wise to read the small print - most of the 0% interest offers apply to the transferred balance only. Any future purchases will be charged at the card's normal rate, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Last edited:
I've done 6 months interest free with Halifax, 10 months nearly up with MBNA and I've applied for and been approved for 6 months BofI Clear card which I hope will be the last move. Debt decreasing steadily. Incidentally I have a Bof I mastercard gold card with a 0 balance which offered me 2.99% for 12 months but I have to take out the clear card to get 0% even though both are B of I.

A.

I've done 6 months interest free with Halifax, 10 months nearly up with MBNA and I've applied for and been approved for 6 months BofI Clear card which I hope will be the last move. Debt decreasing steadily. Incidentally I have a Bof I mastercard gold card with a 0 balance which offered me 2.99% for 12 months but I have to take out the clear card to get 0% even though both are B of I.

A.

Are you sure that you'll qualify for the 0% deal with BOI? I thought it was for new credit card customers only.

Are you sure that you'll qualify for the 0% deal with BOI? I thought it was for new credit card customers only.

Yes, I am technically a new customer on that card. I asked for the 0% to be applied to the current BofI card I hold and was told no that I had to take out the new card.

A.

I just rang up Bank of Ireland, who I've been with all my life, and told them that I was thinking of changing from my Mastercard to Halifax. I rang up in 2008 and told them the same and they put my card interest free for 6 months.

Now, getting tired again of paying 15.9% interest on my balance of €2500, I asked the guy in BofI for alternatives, again telling him I am thinking of moving.

First, he said that because I have had two interest-free periods in the few years that I've had the card, he could not give me another interest free period. However, he did ask me is my priority the reduction of my existing balance of €2500 or is it to have low interest on new purchases. I told him it was to reduce that balance. He came back and said that he could reduce the interest rate on that balance to 6.9% (from the current 15.9%) for the next six months. He made clear to me that if I do buy any more items on this credit card that I would be charged, for those items only, the 15.9% rate. Furthermore, he said he could move me away from this Mastercard Student card to the BofI Clear card, with an interest rate of 9.5%, at the end of the six month period.

In short, it paid to ring them up and negotiate with them.

I switched to MBNA recently on the promise of the 10 months interest free balance transfer.
My plan was clear the new purchases every month and pay off the transfer balance bit by bit.
However, they set any payments against the transfer balance and charged interest on the new purchases - ok I didn't read the small print so I guess it's my mistake but the only way to enjoy the interest free transfer is to buy nothing with the MBNA card and keep using your old card.

This is a very important point. Most people aren't aware of it. The BofI guy just made it to me, but I didn't fully get it until reading your post.

Back