Best colour stain for decking rail??

dools

Hi All,

We just got our garden renovated and got a patio area laid down. Separating this area from the lawn is a decking rail and wooden gate. The timber/spindles have been pressure treated, but we want to use a stan/paint on it to finish it - preferably a brown colour

The landscaper who built it recommended we use a water based stain to colour the wood. Can anyone offer a recommendation as to what brand of stain to use? Do you do with with a brush or cloth?

Many thanks

dools

I would recommend using a Decking Oil, I've used the Decking Oil from Ronseal in a Golden Oak Colour, and we think it's a nice colour. You do need to reapply it once a year, but it's extremely easy to apply with a brush. Woodies stock it in 2.5l and 5 l.

I would recommend using a Decking Oil, I've used the Decking Oil from Ronseal in a Golden Oak Colour, and we think it's a nice colour. You do need to reapply it once a year, but it's extremely easy to apply with a brush. Woodies stock it in 2.5l and 5 l.

We have a deck with rails and spindles since 2000. I was told it would last me 15 years max...but, am determined to beat the forecast. Every Spring, I power hose it clean and apply Ronseal Decking Oil, I have used cedar, oak and pine, using a pad (from Woodies) on a broom handle. Buy the oil in advance at Woodies sale or when on offer elsewhere to save some dosh.

One other tip for deck owners... be careful when eating outdoors on the deck to minimise the food dropped, especially by kids. There are some nice tales of rats and mice discovering new habitats! We did have a hedgehog last year which was good fun. My neighbour thinks it's great gas when I hoover the deck after parties!

[broken link removed]#

I used Ronseal cedar oil on my new deck this year. It looks good but I think I would like it darker.

Is there a walnut oil available?

Marion

You might change your mind when you see the price ! I paid over 50 euro for it the other day in Atlantic !:eek: and it doesn't go far either !

Last edited by a moderator:
You might change your mind when you see the price ! I paid over 50 euro for it the other day in Atlantic !:eek: and it doesn't go far either !

Havealaugh, I agree with you. Decking oil is expensive and deck wood soaks it up.

Woodies usually have a sale around Christmas, e.g. 20% off everything. I stock up then.

Just checked my tin, it's actually Cuprinol, but same thing anyways. But i think it's only 35 euro a 5l tin in woodies at the mo. I will need three a year :eek:to treat all the timberwork we have outside. So will be purchasing in advance when the sales are on.

Hi, have a slightly different question..I've recently moved into our house and the decking is very dark in colour and quite tatty. I'd love to strip it completely and re-stain it an oak colour. How could I go about this? Sorry, I'm clueless on this sort of thing..
Thanks in advance x

eviecarwash

Powerwash it down or scrub with decking cleaner (ronseal) and then put decking oil on it. Comes up great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks havealaugh sounds easy enough! - that will clean it up nice but won't actually remove the old paint will it?

Yeh, the likes of a Karcher should do the trick. Use a powerhose not a normal hose !;)

Back