Best Buy Tyres

C

cocoon

I do about 30,000 miles a year and seem to be only getting about 12,000-14,000 miles out of my tyres, I drive hard but dont abuse the car or brake hard, anyone recommend a good tyre at reasonable money, I ve been using verdestien and other brands, I drive a desiel and switch they tryes around, to the back when they start to wear.

For those of us who pay little attention to the tyres (other than making sure the thread depth is sufficient), can anyone give an idea of what price they pay for their tyres ? I don't care whether my tyres are even the same colour as long as they keep the air in and keep the car safe on the road, so branding and so on don't really feature in my choice. I think this may well apply to a lot of people - bring a tyre to have a puncture repaired, find out the tyre is bust, buy whatever he has in stock . . .

Anyways, I had to get one replaced recently (regular 1.6 petrol family car) and paid €60 for the new tyre.

I know right now people are going to come back and tell me I was ripped off, but I guess that's why I'm asking this question so I know the going rate next time. I had already visually checked the tyre before dropping it in and had spotted the nasty tear he showed me, so he didn't add it while I wasn't looking or anything.

Cheers,

z

tyred

zag,
I got a puncture recently and went to advance pitstop in glasnevin. Ended up paying 75e(cheapest they had) for a generic brand new tyre for a 1.6 family car .
I had the nct coming up the week after so asked the guy to check the other tyres, he said at least 2 others would fail due to nicks in the rubber. As there was no way I could conciously pay for 3 x 75e tyres after only driving in with a puncture, I said Id come back after the nct if it failed. Sure enough, the tyres passed the nct...

price of tyres

of course it depends on what specification you need...

Zag, FWIW my rather average & rather aged dogmobile needed a pair of tyres for the front recently & I paid around the same as yourself. ( I get something over 40k miles out of the front ones )

Re: price of tyres

As posted here before I think, Eire Tyres have a good site if only to compare tyre performance. I find, as with most purchases, that you get what you pay for. The cheaper tyres generally don't have the same level of grip, especially noticable on damp/greasy roads. Personally, I've found Pirelli good in these conditions.

Re: tyred

sunnyday - so how much would one expect to shell out for a pirelli standard-ish tyre ? I know there are all sorts of variations, but for one to be used on the road through the winter, spring, summer and autumn, what would you pay ?

z

Re: tyred

so how much would one expect to shell out for a pirelli standard-ish tyre ?

It depends on the size of the tyre too, but alot of family type saloons, circa 1.6l, use 15inch and maybe 195. For this you're probably talking about €90 each. You can easily get cheaper tyres, but what cost for one impact due to bad grip from your tyres, be it hitting a solid object, or another person??

Back