Best broker/broker recommendations/direct or through a company

Chewbacca

I have a Charles Schwabb account a few years which I use for investing in US stocks. It does not let me invest in ETFs. I recently opened an Interactive Broker and E Toro account as want to invest in some UK stocks and some ETFs. Interactive Brokers looks a bit overcomplicated.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Intactive Brokers or Etoro is better or something else?

Is anyone using a company to invest in Shares/property , I would be interested in the pros/cons of that need to look at that at some stage maybe.

Hi Chewbacca, yeah, while over complicated the IB platform has access to more markets than eToro

Hi Chewbacca,

I found the easiest is Bux Zero, loads of ETFs and each ETF's costs €1 to buy/sell or its free if you set order to execute at 3pm.

Add to positions on a regular basis and hold for 40 years and I'll be a Millionaire!!

Hi Chewbacca. Tastytrade is the best broker in my view. There speciality is derivates (options and futures) but they allow access to all US / European ETFs. I use them mostly. Their interface (and technology in general) is very slick and intuitive.

I also have Interactive Brokers. They are a great discount broker BUT their technology is really poor and difficult to navigate. Their own interface is a series of individual java pop up windows. Their big advantage is they have super cheap interest rates if you want to borrow from them to invest.

One thing to watch for in Ireland / Europe is the "key information document’ (KID)" restrictions. See here -> https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-9-2021-004745_EN.html This means most broker will not Europe based investors buy US based ETFs like SPY etc. This super annoying but some brokers like Tastytrade just ignore it. IB enforce it but if you have big account (100K +) they allow you apply for professional status which turns the restriction off.

As I try to open my DEGIRO account, It seems the picture on my Passport is different than my current picture as taken on my phone

Are there any solutions/ remedies for this

IBKR has lower fees and more access to shares than Degiro.
Just be careful with DeGiro. Their reporting is a little off. Transaction statements don't correspond with Account statements.

I've noticed stamp duty fees are missing on transaction statements and FX charges are different.

Tax documents should not be relied on imo.

I'd also be interested to hear of a decent broker that does not allow my holdings to be lent out. I note T212 does.

Back