Best broadband deals available at moment?

dodo

I currently have SKY BB & Talk E55 per month. I don't have fiber cable and I am happy with upload speed I have average 70-80 mbps.
Looking to see if there is any better deals and more importantly that the service is good, as SKY is good.

Thanks

Best/better in what way?
Look at bonkers to see what's available.
Then also check the providers and maybe call them to check their offers.
Also, ask your neighbours.

I know Eir doing 35E for 12 months then revert to 50ish euro a month. Just wondering is coverage/ Wi-Fi as good as SKY. Don't want to change then reliaze service not any good. Tks

Just wondering is coverage/ Wi-Fi as good as SKY.
What do you mean by "coverage"?
Wifi is the wireless network inside your house and will be generally the same for all providers.
I presume that you actually mean is the broadband connection to the outside world reliable and fast?
Chances are both use the same infrastructure so will offer the same sort of service.

I don't have fiber cable and I am happy with upload speed I have average 70-80 mbps.
I presume that you mean download speed?
From the outside world to your home?
Upload is the other direction and is usually slower than the download speed.
If you're getting 70-80Mbps then chances are that you do have fibre - at least "to the cabinet" in your area if not "to the home".
Otherwise you'd be getting broadband down the regular copper phone line and that would top out at c. 15Mbps.

Virgin Media use their own cable network that the other providers don't have access to.
But I suspect that they're not in your area?

Try Sky to see of they will hold the current price the same, or, somewhere in between, and leave them know that you are shopping around.

I was on €40 a month (up to 1 Gig/1000 Mbps) fibre broadband with Vodafone, and it was supposed to go to €60 last April, but got them to keep the same price, for another year, thats the 3rd time i have done my annual “dance” with vodafone. But it was tougher this year, so i actually told them to close the account, and which point, they blinked, and kept the price the same. I had a Sky fibre alternative lined up. I would be slow to move, unless service is better elsewhere and current service is unreliable, or, not meeting my needs, which is not the case for me.

As i have fibre, directly into the house, alas, no Virgin option, but there are a choice of about 5 suppliers, which effectively all supply the same thing. so i am lucky i have the option of choices.

Last edited:
I'm with Vodafone at the moment, think it's FTTC and I get 90+download and 20 upload for 35pm was 30 but they increased it a short while ago
Was with EIR for a year when they did the free "Prime" offer and had the same service
My contract is up sometime in March and I expect to renew with Vodafone for 35 if not I might go to EIR again
Can't remember when I last paid more then what I'm now paying but would agree with fayf above that the "annual dance" is getting tougher

Moving into a new house soon and looking at the broadband and tv offers on bonkers. There are fairly good monthly prices for the first 12 months and then it normally doubles after that. Just wondering how easy is it to move provider after the 12 months? Presume you have to return the old router and tv boxset and get the new crowd to come out?

Try Sky to see of they will hold the current price the same, or, somewhere in between, and leave them know that you are shopping around.

I was on €40 a month (up to 1 Gig/1000 Mbps) fibre broadband with Vodafone, and it was supposed to go to €60 last April, but got them to keep the same price, for another year, thats the 3rd time i have done my annual “dance” with vodafone. But it was tougher this year, so i actually told them to close the account, and which point, they blinked, and kept the price the same. I had a Sky fibre alternative lined up. I would be slow to move, unless service is better elsewhere and current service is unreliable, or, not meeting my needs, which is not the case for me.

As i have fibre, directly into the house, alas, no Virgin option, but there are a choice of about 5 suppliers, which effectively all supply the same thing. so i am lucky i have the option of choices.
why slow to move, as you say its the same service, i have the same and have moved almost every year,

I'm with Vodafone FTTH (500 MB) paying €50 per month - increasing to €60 at the end of the contract. My contract expires in mid Feb so I called them to see what they could do for me.

The first person I spoke to said that they'll give me a "discount" of €10, leaving me on the same package, so I said "No". They put me through to their loyalty team. The call got dropped so they called me back and offered me the 500 MB at €35 per month. I said "No" again and said that I could get the same speed, with SKY, for €30 with One Big Switch. Straight away they offered me €30, so I stayed with them. So that's a saving of €240 this year.

Does the €30 per month include line rental?
As far as I know Eir include a landline with their broadband packages but Vodafone give you the option of a package with out
And IIRC the price difference between BB only and BB with phone was €5 per month with Vodafone

I'm with Sky at the moment and I had to take a call package (which I did not want as I don't use a landline). Broadband & Talk with Sky is €55.

Moving to Vodafone for broadband would save me €25 per month.

I'm with Vodafone FTTH (500 MB) paying €50 per month - increasing to €60 at the end of the contract. My contract expires in mid Feb so I called them to see what they could do for me.

The first person I spoke to said that they'll give me a "discount" of €10, leaving me on the same package, so I said "No". They put me through to their loyalty team. The call got dropped so they called me back and offered me the 500 MB at €35 per month. I said "No" again and said that I could get the same speed, with SKY, for €30 with One Big Switch. Straight away they offered me €30, so I stayed with them. So that's a saving of €240 this year.
thanks i didnt know about the OBS offer, renewed vodafone at 35 per month for 500mb ftth with 2 months free so works out as a slightly lower annual cost than the sky offer.

Moving into a new house soon and looking at the broadband and tv offers on bonkers. There are fairly good monthly prices for the first 12 months and then it normally doubles after that. Just wondering how easy is it to move provider after the 12 months? Presume you have to return the old router and tv boxset and get the new crowd to come out?
It depends on what fibre suppliers you have in your area.

You might have fibre coverage from Virgin but not from others, so don't assume because you can get it with Virgin you'll be able to move in 12 months. To be sure to be sure, better trying with a different provider to Virgin initially.

I still don't understand why you suggest to @Leesider32 to look at providers other than VM?
Because they are planning to switch in 12 months, and in 12 months time they might find they can't switch.
I'd rather know that now.
In my case I was well into the signup process when the provider realised they couldn't provide fibre ie at engineer call out stage.

Back