Best Bank to be with.

blueshoes

Hi guys.

Please move if in wrong area, didnt quite know where to post.

Im currently with BOI have no money in the account, its still a student account (im not in college anymore :( )

I only use it if i need to lodge a cheque etc.

Now, whilst I do get money ive never actually put it in my bank account. Im thinking of doing this now though.

Im just wondering should i stay with BOI and just change the type of account? Or move to aib/ulster or anyone else?

Thanks ;)

Ask them how long they'll continue to offer you fee-free banking and preferential loan rates. As of recently, they offer free banking anyway, as long as you make more than three transactions per quarter online or by 'phone (IIRC).

NIB have offered free banking for ages now, and I find their online banking services much better than BoI's.

What are your criteria for choosing a bank - e.g. charges (preferably low to none - see [broken link removed]), interest payable on deposits (see the ), branch network availability, online banking (what specific features) and so on?

What would be the main differences between the NIB online banking site and BoI's?
See this previous thread, particularly laragh's post. I use the text alerts to notify me (a) of any unusually large debits and (b) of my balance on a Friday evening, so I can make sure the account never goes overdrawn and attracts charges.

It's not just the online banking features I like, though — the manager and staff in my local branch happen to be particularly helpful and 'on the ball'. I would do without BoI altogether if it weren't also my employer's bank, which helps in terms of clearing payments faster. I also have a BoI [broken link removed] card, but none of those account details are available online — five years after they assured me that this was 'in the pipeline'... :rolleyes:

Ulster Bank offer free banking to all of their personal customers.
Their regulare current account has no hidden charges you can make as many transactions as you want, use online banking, set up standing orders etc.

They have 1 account which is a packaged account called the U-First Account and their are loads of benefits like - discounts on hotels, restaurants, flights and 25% off concert tickets this account is €9 per month.

and if you want to make a few bob on the switch to UB, see [broken link removed]

No connection with UB, although I may switch to them, based on the above.

Back