Best bank for free banking and debit vs credit cards

podge3

Hope the thread title isn't too long.

To make a long story short, I need to move from the EBS as they do not do a chip and pin laser card. They are still issuing the swipe kind that are often not accepted in shops any more. I have complained in my local EBS many times and to the EBS hotline but to no avail. The response of a girl in my local branch was to get the money from an ATM before I went shopping:eek:. Duh!

So anyhoo the time has come to move on, I think. I'm looking at Ulster Bank for the following reasons:

- they do free banking
- they are largely owned by the UK government so if this country goes belly up then my few coppers may still be safe.

But I don't think they do Laser cards? They have Visa debit alright.

Is the Visa debit as widely accepted as the Visa credit card? Doesn't a credit card give the purchaser much more protection than a debit card?

UB don't do Laser cards. It's Visa Debit.

Visa Debit is accepted practically everywhere Visa credit cards are, both here in Ireland, abroad and online - again a huge step up compared to Laser.

And yes, Visa Debit gives you similar protection to a Visa credit card with regard to chargebacks etc - again, something Laser does not.

Back