Best approach for dealing with estate agent who has not contacted me back

dpento01

I made an offer for a house 10 days ago. The estate agent seemed ok to deal with when I viewed the house & made my offer on the phone, said they would phone me back if there were any further developments or other offers. I haven't heard from them yet. The last time I went through this with another property I phoned the estate agent back after 2 weeks, I worry that because I phoned them back it made me seem too eager & they started coming back with tales of other offers. Now I am thinking I shouldn't phone the estate agent back this time & just play it cool & see. Is this the best approach or if I don't phone soon will the estate agent think I am not that interested?

There is probably no reason to panic. The EA may be waiting on an answer from the vendor. Play it cool, as per your own advice!

Ask a friend to phone the agent and inquire as to the status on it. Is the house still viewing for example?
2 weeks is a very short time so would not be panicking.

House only went on the market in early October & my offer was highest offer so far but still a good bit below asking price, maybe they are just waiting for a while to see if anyboby else goes higher. Estate Agents told me they would keep my informed of any other offers so maybe they just have nothing to tell me yet. Will maybe wait until next week & see about calling them back then. I don't think phoning them & seeming eager about it is good strategy. I hope that's the best way to play it anyway.

The estate agent seemed ok to deal with when I viewed the house & made my offer on the phone, said they would phone me back if there were any further developments or other offers.

Did they tell you on the phone that the offer was too low?

If they told you that they would put the offer to the client and see what they say, then they should have got back to you by now.

As in any field, there are many unprofessional estate agents. Call again and ask for an update.

Brendan

I believe that its easy enough to know whats going on here. You made a low offer on a property that has been on the market a short time. The estate agent is waiting to get a higher offer upon which he will revert to you and ask you to better it. Getting back to him in the meantime will most likely not make much difference apart from assuring him that you are a very keen prospect. A common practice nowadays for estate agents is to put
property on the market at a price below the sellers expectations to drum up interest. If you have bid below the asking, there's a good chance that you are well outside the seller's expectations.............Rest assured that if your bid was a good one that was acceptable to the sellers, hed have been back to you by now.

The estate agent ... said they would phone me back if there were any further developments or other offers.
Might it be safe to assume then, that as per their last word to you, there have bee no "further developments or other offers"?

I am in the similar situation as OP. The only difference is that EA told me that I'm the highest bidder but my offer isn't acceptable to the seller. I was just about to increase the offer by €5K but EA said "it doesn't mean that seller won't change his mind as there are no other higher offers/interest". Its been two weeks and I haven't heard anything back since then. I got a friend to call EA and they told the same thing that we have € X on offer (thats my offer).

Back