A bit of background to set the scene. I've been getting various aspects of my finances in order over the past 12 months or so, and I'm finally getting around to considering the optimal approach to my pensions situation. Overall financial situation is healthy so there is capacity to contribute as much as is sensible to the pension.
Age: 41
DC Pot 1 = €100k
DC Pot 2 = €50k
DC Pot 3 = £40k/€50k - UK
DB Accrued to date = €6k pa from 65, and accruing another c€1k pa each year - This is in the Single Public Service Pension Scheme
1) Optimal way to do AVC's: My gross contributions to the pension each year are c€5k. My salary is c€100k (in case it's relevant I'm on 80% time of a full time €130k salary and may choose to go back to 100% at a future point). Based on this and my age there would seem to be considerable room for additional pension contributions. The simplest solution would seem to be to just go with the Cornmarket option doing annual single premium and the terms don't seem absolutely terrible (?). Is there any reason not to go this route, or a better option that would give more flexibility or choice at the point of retirement?
2) Should I bring the UK pension back to Ireland? This relates to an employment i had 15 years ago. My employer no longer exists, and it's with Hargreaves Lansdown. The charges are reasonably high (c1.25% pa). Is it worth the hassle of trying to transfer this back and perhaps combining into one of my other DC pots? I've seen numerous posts on here about maintaining separate pots can give additional flexibility and options at retirement. I expect there will be some level of awkwardness/hassle figuring out lump sums/income tax/etc which could be avoided perhaps if i moved it back.
3) Standard Fund Thresholds - My wife passed away at the start of this year, and as part of her death in service benefits I have an ARF of c€1m from which I do not currently draw an income. Am I correct in saying that this ARF is completely unrelated to the Standard Fund Threshold limits that would apply to me?
Assuming it is separate, the limits are very unlikely to come into play based on c€25kpa DB pension at 65, and the c€200k DC with growth to 65. But if the ARF was relevant here, then the limits could come into play, and affect my choices/capacity for AVC's I'm asking about above.
Any and all suggestions appreciated! Thanks
Age: 41
DC Pot 1 = €100k
DC Pot 2 = €50k
DC Pot 3 = £40k/€50k - UK
DB Accrued to date = €6k pa from 65, and accruing another c€1k pa each year - This is in the Single Public Service Pension Scheme
1) Optimal way to do AVC's: My gross contributions to the pension each year are c€5k. My salary is c€100k (in case it's relevant I'm on 80% time of a full time €130k salary and may choose to go back to 100% at a future point). Based on this and my age there would seem to be considerable room for additional pension contributions. The simplest solution would seem to be to just go with the Cornmarket option doing annual single premium and the terms don't seem absolutely terrible (?). Is there any reason not to go this route, or a better option that would give more flexibility or choice at the point of retirement?
2) Should I bring the UK pension back to Ireland? This relates to an employment i had 15 years ago. My employer no longer exists, and it's with Hargreaves Lansdown. The charges are reasonably high (c1.25% pa). Is it worth the hassle of trying to transfer this back and perhaps combining into one of my other DC pots? I've seen numerous posts on here about maintaining separate pots can give additional flexibility and options at retirement. I expect there will be some level of awkwardness/hassle figuring out lump sums/income tax/etc which could be avoided perhaps if i moved it back.
3) Standard Fund Thresholds - My wife passed away at the start of this year, and as part of her death in service benefits I have an ARF of c€1m from which I do not currently draw an income. Am I correct in saying that this ARF is completely unrelated to the Standard Fund Threshold limits that would apply to me?
Assuming it is separate, the limits are very unlikely to come into play based on c€25kpa DB pension at 65, and the c€200k DC with growth to 65. But if the ARF was relevant here, then the limits could come into play, and affect my choices/capacity for AVC's I'm asking about above.
Any and all suggestions appreciated! Thanks