Best and Worst performing sectors for UK and Europe

Pexus1976

Anybody know of a decent website that willl give me accurate information in relation to the best and worst performing sectors in the UK?

All advice appreicated.

Anybody know of a decent website that willl give me accurate information in relation to the best and worst performing sectors in the UK?

All advice appreicated.

www.moneyweek.com

The best 2 websites going. Sign up to their daily emails.

They both offer a contrarian approach of buying what is out of fashion and dumping the fashionable.

Moneyweek is the more conservative - i.e. buy defensive stocks such as pharma, utilities, etc. Avoid the trash like banks which have risen a lot recently.

Fleetstreet - More higher risk, higher return sectors covered.

Both look at the long term secular trends of a growing global population (i.e. commodity plays), defensives, etc.

Also www.fool.co.uk is a good website with some excellent contributors.

Again they say ditch the trash cyclicals and stick to good solid defensive plays that offer something called a dividend and a low P/E.

Thanks for the replies, great websites. But I'm looking for chart sector performances. With a glance you can see for example telecommunications up 12%, banking up 8%, minning down 4%, IT up 3% etc.....

Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies, great websites. But I'm looking for chart sector performances. With a glance you can see for example telecommunications up 12%, banking up 8%, minning down 4%, IT up 3% etc.....

Any ideas?

The organisations that would possess this data are the index providers.

So in Europe try MSCI; FTSE and DJ Stoxx. If they provide it for regions then they probably do it globally too. I suggest that you look at S&P in the US.

Otherwise Bloomberg and Reuters might be another place to try.

I have a Bloomberg terminal and use sector performance as a guide to allocate my pension money amongst ETFs (this is when I have equity exposure). As it stands, on a 6-month basis the best performing sector in Europe are the banks (+88%!) and the worst is Oil and Gas (+ 9%).

Edit: Also take a look at the websites of the main ETF providers (ishares etc). You should be able to track not just equity sub-sector performance, but asset class performance too.

I agree with but I think digitallook is the best as it not only shows sectors but individual shares and information is very accurate and easy to interpret.

Back