Best 7 seater fuel type

Gabrielle

Hi I'm looking at buying a new 7 seater.
I currently have an old diesel one which I find great.
The thing is I don't know what type of fuel I should be looking at for a new car.
Are hybrids the way to go? Electric?
I want to keep any new one for a few years...
any advice?
Ta

When you say a few years, what do you have in mind?

Diesels are going to become less popular over time as more and more cities start to ban them due to air pollution issues.

Hybrids will become more popular until replaced by pure EVs, but that won't happen for quite some time. A recent ING study suggests 2035 as the year when all new cars sold in Europe will be electric. That said, I still wouldn't rush out to buy an EV now, battery technology will have to improve, and there's still too much uncertainty around the price of replacement batteries for current models on sale, so that will affect resale values.

Agree with @Seagull and I'd go so far as to say if anyone tries to sell you a modern diesel on that basis, walk away. I'd suggest a petrol-electric hybrid.

Op has a diesel and likes it, the low end pulling power is of course great as is the economy, I am a low mileage 2.1 Litre diesel driver, maybe 12000 Kim's a year, I plan on keeping the car a long time, if the OP wants to keep the motor for a long time then my six cents is to consider going diesel again.

if the OP wants to keep the motor for a long time then my six cents is to consider going diesel again.

Good point, if long time equates to long enough for any car to depreciate to the point where it is of little value, then resale values can be ignored and reliability and maintenance costs will be more significant factors.

Regardless of what you buy, make sure you take it for a decent test drive before buying it. I've always driven diesels, but last year a car hire company in the UK gave me a petrol 7 seater Vauxhall Zafira. It was seriously under-powered especially on the motorways. The same happened me a few months later with a Vauxhall Insignia petrol. I found myself down in 3rd gear trying to climb hills. If you are used to driving diesels you might be disappointed in petrols, especially the lower powered ones.

Regardless of what you buy, make sure you take it for a decent test drive before buying it. I've always driven diesels, but last year a car hire company in the UK gave me a petrol 7 seater Vauxhall Zafira. It was seriously under-powered especially on the motorways. The same happened me a few months later with a Vauxhall Insignia petrol. I found myself down in 3rd gear trying to climb hills. If you are used to driving diesels you might be disappointed in petrols, especially the lower powered ones.
I find that with all Opel/Vauxhall rentals in the UK. I always as for "anything except a Vauxhall or Seat" when I rent as both are always very low spec. I also hate the clutch and gearbox on Opel's in general.

A relative has a Ford Galaxy and is very happy with it. They previously owned a Zafira and hated it.

A relative has a Ford Galaxy and is very happy with it. They previously owned a Zafira and hated it.
I used to have a Ford Galaxy and it was great. The newer ones are really ugly though, even for a people mover. The S-Max seems to have replaced it (yes, I know they are different cars and Ford still make both of them but the C-Max is the one people are buying).
I'm freely admit to disliking all Opel's though so I know I'm biased.

I drive a diesel 7 seater at present but bar a few trips west, it's mostly city driving. All in all, 16,000 kms per year.
I went diesel as it was nearly impossible to get a petrol SUV.

But I've been looking at Hybrids lately as a suitable electric car is still a few years away. I've noticed that a 2/2.5yo Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrids (with a high spec) are coming in at around 25k or so. While a new one costs 51.5k.

My question is why do Hybrids lose so much value so quickly? Or is it just the Outlander?

Looks like the Outlander Hybrid loses two seats on the diesel version, so if you're specifically looking for a 7-seater again, that will be an issue. Honest John gives them 3/5.

Cheers, didn' realise the hybrid was only a 5 seater. That rules that out as an option.

But the hybrid version new is 52k and after 2 or so years is down 50%. Thats some drop

But the hybrid version new is 52k and after 2 or so years is down 50%. Thats some drop
I can't remember the reason for it, but when the Outlander was relaunched in late 2016, the price had increased from about 42k in 2014 to over 50k. You'd need to dig out reviews to check, but there must have been some changes in the spec to justify such a price change.

So the models you're looking at now only had a list price of 42k new (or about GBP 28k over the water with a low VRT to import 2nd hand).

Back