Best 4-wheel drive

If you are looking for a 4wd saloon car i would recommend the subaru legacy diesel. Brilliant car on any type of roads, doesnt really wear tyres (although when you change you change all 4, not 2 like with a 2wd), I get average fuel consumption of 6.2 ish litres per 100km, which i think is v good for 4wd. (no connection to subaru, just happy driver)

I have a legacy estate diesel now for last 16 months. Have to say its excellent in these conditions. Avg fuel consumption about same.

I'd like a Disco, but aren't they really really really heavy on fuel???? Anyone any suggestions for something slightly more easy going?
Between about 28 - 30 mpg combined. We also have a Rexton (2.7ltr Diesel) and the Disco (was also 2.7ltr Diesel) didn't use much more than the Rexton. There's no comparison between the two in terms of comfort, power, handling, towing power, etc, the Disco wins hands down.

End of the day, depends where you are driving (urban, rural or mixed), what your annual mileage is likely to be and what you want the car for.

what about the petrol subaru eg legacy est 2.5 non turbo maybe auto.

How are they on fuel?

Are they still bullet proof mechanically after a few years.

I was thinking about 04 05 for a few grand a good few out there.

Just the fuel cost are a bit scarey.

Subaru 2l petrol turbos are very thirsty. I would imagine the 2.5na petrols are no angels either.

4 x 4

Currently driving a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 (offroad) 2.0tdi 170bhp.

I cant comment on other 4 wheel drives because I have never driven one before, but I so love everything about this car.

Since we are looking at a decade of regular snow/ice I think it's time to change car to a 4-wheel drive. Has anyone any recommendations on the best 4-wheel drives out there, that are also suitable to city traffic? And what saloon cars are there that are 4-wheel drive?

Complete and utter waste of money unless you're a farmer or contractor etc. with heavy trailers to tow. Buy a good pair of winter tyres for €150 instead. They make a huge difference and you can get them taken off again when the weather is better, and get your old tyres on again for a €10. That way you will get at least 4 or 5 winters out of them.

My boyfriend loves reading the car mags and buys 4x4 mag and told me at the weekend while reading it that the Fiat Panda 4x4 got the best 4x4 car prize. But you should buy 4x4 mag in Easons.

+1 these are incredibly popular in the Alps and amazing on steep icy roads....light and sticky.

Saw a review of the Fiat Panda 4 x 4 vs. one of the bigger land rovers or range rovers and there was not much in it.

Opel Insignia

Had to wait until they reopened on the 4th to get look at one of the estate(tourer) models. Tourer elite 160PS 4x4 is €39,980and the hatchback is €38,780. Have to say despite wanting to like this car, the rear door is a huge, awkward mess. The excessive depth of the rear bumper means you really reach forward to get anything in and have to actually climb in to get stuff out from the back. The hatchback has much better access, but in common with the estate the bulky rear pillar makes reversing a nightmare.

Back