best 1998-2000, 1.2 or 1.4 car

sun_sparks

I've got a budget of up to €5k to spend on a second-hand car. Looking for people's opinions on what the best cars would be with the following specs:

1.2 or 1.4
between 1998 and 2000
petrol
preferable hatchback
manual

As a preference, I like cars with a little get-up-and-go. However, my boyf is still learning, so I need something that handles well.

I am not even considering a Punto, so don't go there! :)

Civic, Astra, Corolla (a bit boring), are all good.

Golf and Focus are underpowered in 1.4 guise.

Steer clear of SEAT.

Try searching here

should throw up a few options for you.

I had no problems with a 1999 Almera with 92k miles on the clock when I bought it in 2002. The hatch is not as boring as the saloon, but a good car for the money. Light car.

Best fun to drive in this range is a 1.25 Zetec Fiesta. (Stay away from the 1.3 as it is outdated technology and much slower).
For 5k you should have no bother getting a nice one with lots of extras.

Actually you are spot on.

That 1.25l 16v Yamaha tweaked engine is fnatastic.

i though that 1.25 engine in the fiestas was a honda engine

cuchulainn said:
i though that 1.25 engine in the fiestas was a honda engine

The advanced Zetec-SE was developed in collaboration of Yamaha under the Sigma codename. It ranges in size from 1.25 L (1249 cc) to 1.7 L (1700 cc). It is extremely different from the Zeta engine - the intake and exhaust are even on opposite sides.
This engine is sold under the Sigma name in some regions, while Mazda uses the MZI name. It is also sold as a crate engine by Ford Power Products as the ZSG. Rather confusingly, this engine has been renamed "Duratec" for use in the Mk II Ford Focus for Europe, being available in 1.4 L and 1.6 L versions. This incarnation also spawned a 1.6 L derivative with variable valve timing, known by Ford as "Ti-VCT" (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing).
In 2000, Ford of Brazil developed a cheaper version of the Zetec-SE engine, to compete with the classic VW AP engines. This Zetec-Rocam is an 8-valve SOHC instead of 16-valve DOHC design and the block is made of iron instead of aluminum. Also, the camshaft is driven by a chain instead of a belt. As a result, this engine exhibits rougher behaviour, producing more vibration and noise.
On the other hand, it has a superb torque output thanks to the addition of the Rocam (rollerfinger camshaft) feature. It is also a much smaller engine than the SE version, which allowed it to be installed in the Ford Ka, replacing the Endura-E which was considered underpowered and outdated.
In 2003, the Zetec-Rocam engine was introduced in Europe, but labeled as Duratec 8v, for the SportKa and StreetKa models. Later a 1.3 L version was also released as an option for the standard model, but the European versions of the engine are produced in the South Africa plant.
In October/2004 a newer bi-fuel version was introduced labeled "1.6 L Flex", capable of running on both petrol and alcohol, even mixed at any proportion. This version also featured "Compound High Turbulence" chambers, as used on the CHT engine.

Back