Bereavement Grants & Funeral Expenses - what am I entitled to?

Feel terrible for you - its a tough one. Any chance you could get the undertakers to reissue the bill to your aunt for 50% of the cost of the funeral less the amount you'll get for the breavement grant. Actually - does your aunt know you have received the bill already ? any chance she is waiting to hear what her contribution is?

If the funeral will put a huge pressure on your finance and you cannot afford it, you should check with your local social welfare office, there is special payment for circumstance like this, a relative died a few months ago and the parents could not afford it as both on social welfare and they got a special payment of EUR 3000 towards the cost.

Talk to your undertaker about this as they will be aware of all & any grants that are out there (and there are a number).

Was this the cheapest the undertaker was able to do the funeral for or did you add on extras (such as cars, upgraded coffin etc).

Also, did the undertaker try to understand who would pay for the funeral & what funds were available. It is in his interest not to oversell you as he wants to get at the end of the day.

He should help you out as it is in his interest to do so & will be able to give you details of what help is out there or come to an arrangement on how to pay it down over time.

Thanks for all your replies. I am going to contact my local community welfare officer this afternoon to see how I get on - I don't think that I will get anywhere, my spouse is earning and I think his income will be taken into account. I might try the argument that it should be the deceased's capacity to pay that should be taken into account, given the circumstances of the case.....

Back