BER regulations for property rented last autumn

bambam

Moved into a rental property last autumn, and have discovered through trips into the attic and an ENORMOUS gas bill that there is little or no insulation, it takes an age to heat up and the blink of an eye to cool down.

Is this covered under the new BER legislation or, as we rented last autumn, is it up to the goodwill of the landlord.

Thanks

Moved into a rental property last autumn, and have discovered through trips into the attic and an ENORMOUS gas bill that there is little or no insulation, it takes an age to heat up and the blink of an eye to cool down.

Is this covered under the new BER legislation or, as we rented last autumn, is it up to the goodwill of the landlord.

Thanks

Goodwill of landlord.

Getting a BER rating won't make it any better for you.

My suggestion to you would be to hassle your landlord into getting insulation into the attic pronto.

Goodwill of landlord.

Getting a BER rating won't make it any better for you.

My suggestion to you would be to hassle your landlord into getting insulation into the attic pronto.
It only came into effect in your situation from 1/1/09.

Remember if your landlord did provide you with a BER cert it would only give a rating for the house-you would still have the same problems you have now.

Although if you saw a **** cert back then you would have made a more informed decision.

I dont know where youre based but with so many rental properties on the market, ask landlord to fix it or else say you're going elsewhere. If youre uncomfortable with this, only ask him to fix it, if he doesnt, then just move elsewhere. Buyers market out there.

The Ber cert is mandatory for lettings since 1st Jan.2009 but the OP moved in in Autumn so strictly speaking there was no obligation on the landlord to have a BER cert for this letting.
He will be obliged for the next one though.

Back