BER Exempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhurd

I hope to put my Victorian house built 1840 on the market shortly. Anyone know what is the criteria for a BER exemption. I have noticed a lot of older properties advertised have 'BER exempt' on them.

Protected structures are BER exempt.

Even if your house is BER exempt, it could be worth getting one done and publishing it if it isn't terrible, otherwise people may assume that it's a G.

What makes the house a 'protected structure? a house similar to mine on another road nearby is BER exempt. How do I find out if mine may be also exempt?

Your local County Council will have a list of the Protected Structures in your area. I would expect that they would have a copy on their website.

If it were a protected structure I would have thought you would have had some correspondence from the council at the time it would have been classed as a protected structure. You could followed Guns and Roses advice and failing that you could make some discreet inquiries without alerting anyone. Be careful of what you might wish for as in a lot of cases it could have a negative impact on the sale price. I would still advise to make sure one way or another as failure to declare that it was a protected structure if it is the case could cause problems for you down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back