BER cost

I'm wondering if it's worth while to get a BER asessment on my house. I'm thinking of maybe changing the gas central heating boiler, getting new radiators (GFCH probably 1980s) with individual controls, or maybe replacing single glazing (back of house is single glazed) with double but can't afford to get it all done in one go. The attic is well insulated but it's an old 1940s house. Any idea whether it's worthwhile getting a BER done, or which bits are the most important to do first? Thanks

I'm wondering if it's worth while to get a BER asessment on my house. I'm thinking of maybe changing the gas central heating boiler, getting new radiators (GFCH probably 1980s) with individual controls, or maybe replacing single glazing (back of house is single glazed) with double but can't afford to get it all done in one go. The attic is well insulated but it's an old 1940s house. Any idea whether it's worthwhile getting a BER done, or which bits are the most important to do first? Thanks

I recently did the BER course, I'd say realistically €250 to €350 should be the going rate depending on property size (I do not charge for BERs as it is part of my overall job to do). For an EXISTING dwelling you have to measure everything in the property, (walls, floor areas, doors windows, etc). €30 alone goes to the SEI for registering the cert and not to mention VAT at 21%, income tax and insurance costs etc).

As for €152 for 150 new units.... thats a nice profit... as all that assessor is doing is changing the numbers on the units and modifying calcs and sending results off to SEI. if it were 150 units all different designs and not a drawing provide €152 would not be possible. Its very easy to do an assessment with full drawings and spec provided so I would not compare new with old BER costs. I know you said attic is well insulated, is it over 300mm (A foot) insulated? and I'm assuming no cavity in 1940s construction you could look at Internal Wall Dry-Lining, if your property is a mid terraced this would not be as mad to do as it sounds as you would only need to do the walls to front and back of dwelling.

Gordanus, getting a more efficient boiler with zoned heating (SEI available grants). Replacing windows to double glazed (single glazed window has Uvalue of 4.8 where double can be as low as 1.8, the lower the Uvalue the better for you).

Even the amount of energy efficient bulbs insitu will have an impact on a BER result. As for whether to get A BER assessment done, I'm guessing a 1940s house with a 1980s boiler and single glazing will result in a F or worse rating. So put the €250 BER cost towards the upgrading instead, unless your selling or planning to rent it out. If you have a BER done the minute you change the boiler or change the windows the rating becomes irrelevant as it would also be different. Sealing up open fires also improve rating, maybe look at installing a multi-fuel stove in one of the existing openfires (in largest room).

Back