Benefit entitlement & means testing

C

CharlieAlpha

My work situation is as follows:

Back in the Spring of 2007 I was made redundant from my IT job of thirteen years. I was not too troubled by this and seized the opportunity to start my own business (a limited company). For the first few months this brought in some income from fees, however it has now been 17 weeks since I secured any work, despite my best efforts to find IT contract work using recruitment consultancies, job websites etc.

I have not drawn a single penny from the company by way of salary to date. Any money I earned from fees has gone to offset the costs incurred at startup and its ongoing running. I have been living off my savings and redundancy money.

As money is becoming tighter, I am wondering if I might be entitled to any benefits from the state whilst I continue to seek work? Reading other threads on here, I get the impression that this is possible even if I am self-employed (as I have no work at all), but what I cannot establish is whether the payment of benefits is at all means tested?

Whilst in employment, I had a good job - which afforded me the luxury of saving 'for a rainy day'. I also received approx. £12,000 in redundancy money last year, which I have been living off and funding my company startup - although most of this is gone now.

So my question is, am I entitled to benefits (JSA) irrespective of any savings/investments I have?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I would appreciate any input that can be given.

Back