Beneficiaries when someone dies intestate

trees

If a person dies intestate and one of the beneficiaries refuses to accept the amount of inheritance due to them what would happen to the inheritance?
Does it have to be paid to them and is there a time frame as to when the inheritance must be distributed?

A person may disclaim their inheritance if they so wish by informing the executors(s)/ representatives in writing. That share then goes back into the estate to be redistributed. IANAL.

Thanks for your reply - I wondered if that was only if it was inheritance from a will rather than proceeds of the estate when there was no will ?

There is an administrator and if they write to the administrator saying I don’t want my bit, that should be all there is to it.

Great Aunt Mary dies intestate and all the great nieces and nephews inherit, all 50 of them get €2K each and I am living in the US and it is just too much hassle so I disclaim. Then the 49 left get a little extra each.

Who is going to object or say it wasn’t right? The 49 others or me in the US in a years time when I really need €2K. If I sue the administrator they have the letter?

I would say it would be problematic if I said I don’t want my 2K, give it to my brother John instead. If I was the administrator I would say no to that. Just tell me to gift it to John myself after I get it from the estate.

Looking at small amounts like above makes it simple it is when the money gets bigger, say €100K each that things get more fraught, but the same principles apply.

Does anyone know, if parent dies intestate, leaves 2 properties. There are 2 children inheriting.
One sibling still living at home in the PPR.
Does the Dwelling Home Exemption still pertain in this case?
Otherwise they would face a heavy CAT bill.

Back