Beneficiaries abroad do I need solicitor for probate

primrose

As executor of a will I was going to make a personal application for probate.

The only asset is the house so I decided in order to reduce costs I would do it myself.

However 2 family members who are beneficiarys are living abroad and I have been informed that a solictor must be appointed to act in connection with the administration of the estate.

Both are children of the estate, who I believe will inherit about 50K and this is well within the threshold where any tax liabilities would arise.

Is this correct? I know that it is always advisable to use a solicitor but do I have to?

No, no solicitor required. I was executor for my mother's will, the only asset being the family home. 9 children, 2 in Australia - I sold the house, and just did a bank transfer to their accounts. No problem.

Thanks Eithneangela

Do you mind me asking were you granted probate prior to 2010?

There were changes made since then it says on the revenue site.

It just makes the whole process more costly for what I imagined to be a straight forward process ie only one asset.

I got probate in October 2010. Can't see where the difficulty might lie in distributing the proceeds to the heirs, regardless of their location. It is up to the Banks/Regulatory Authorities in other countries to worry about large sums of money being transferred to someone's account.

... I have been informed that a solictor must be appointed to act in connection with the administration of the estate...
By whom? Somebody with appropriate knowledge, or somebody with an opinion that might be mistaken?

Back