Wrong forum Beneavin - Is it Finglas or Glasnevin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Post consider Glasnevin Avenue as Dublin 11.
Is Glasnevin Avenue not in Glasnevin?

Its officially - Glasnevin Avenue, Glasnevin, Dublin 11 as registered with Dublin City Council
[FONT=r_ansi][FONT=r_ansi]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Hi there,

I live very near Benevin (near the willows pub) and yes you are in Finglas. But as for location Benevin would be a nice are - it is a quiet road. The reality is there is two sides to Finglas, the nicer side to the east of the village and the "rougher" area to the west. I put rougher in quotes because it really is one or two bad eggs that really cause most of the problems (shootings etc)...

P:)

All over Dublin, boundaries are being redefined because people think one area has a better reputation than another. Glasnevin has subsumed parts of Finglas and Ballymun, and is far bigger than it used to be.

Only if you're an estate agent. I was once looking at house in that area. My biggest laugh was for the house supposedly in Glasnevin, advertised as "X minutes from Glasnevin church", which was _right beside_ a church in Finglas.

was once looking at house in that area. My biggest laugh was for the house supposedly in Glasnevin
- No, the best one was a new estate on Jamestown road (Finglas village), when the complex was initially launched it was adverised boldly as "Park View Dublin 9"!!! Nowhere near Dublin 9!!!!

I would consider Beneavin 'old Finglas' its still a good distance from the village, it's a lovely leafy area, houses are good too...

An Post consider Glasnevin Avenue as Dublin 11.
Is Glasnevin Avenue not in Glasnevin?

Most of Malahide Road isnt in Malahide.
Most of Naas Road isnt in Naas.
Most of Navan Road isnt in Navan.

Many more examples around the city.

Most of Malahide Road isnt in Malahide.
Most of Naas Road isnt in Naas.
Most of Navan Road isnt in Navan.

Many more examples around the city.

They are all roads.
As in the road to Malahide or the road to Naas.

Surely Glasnevin Avenue is a tree lined street in Glasnevin?

Beneavin Finglas or Glasnevin

Can anyone tell if Beneavin is Finglas or Glasnevin I am getting mixed reports all round even when I google it

It does not matter which area it falls into. Beneavin is a great place. It is a great community. If you have small children they will love it. Beneavin as a great resident association and they are very active. In the summer they held a funday on the green and it is still being talked about. It is peaceful and friendly. If you are buying a property there when you do the land search in the land registry office it will come back with the area as Glasnevin. This changed over 20 years ago. It is not the EA calling it Glasnevin it is Glasnevin North.

They are all roads.
As in the road to Malahide or the road to Naas.

Surely Glasnevin Avenue is a tree lined street in Glasnevin?

And Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park must be a tree lined street in Chesterfield, England?

If anyone is in any doubt about the area their house is located in, the original deeds usually provided the answer.

Glasnevin North doesn't really exist either except in EAs and as named by some residents of areas that fall in this Glasnevin/Finglas divide. Beneavin is a very nice residential area in Dublin 11. Glasnevin Ave I think used to be called Ballymun Ave then after the towers were built the residents voted to change the name.

Glasnevin North doesn't really exist either except in EAs and as named by some residents of areas that fall in this Glasnevin/Finglas divide.

I think you will find that if you looked at an Ordnance Survey Ireland map that Glasnevin North is not a figment of imagination.

So as I understand it An Post, the OSI and DCC (as mentioned by another poster) must all be incorrect and you and csirl are correct.

Fair enough so. I'll leave ye to it.

Interesting,I didn't realise Glasnevin North had offical recognition as an area. It's a relatively recent designation which has come about as a result of residents in these areas wanting to distance themselves from the unfortunate associations that Finglas and Ballymun often have (which as a previous poster said are caused by a few bad apples and a long-term underfunding by successive governments).
Anyway, as said Beneavin, Hillcrest etc. are nice areas.

Glasnevin North as a district has been in existance since the early to mid 80's or at least as far as I remember as I grew up in the area and know the area very well. I think it even goes back as far as 1983ish but could be wrong with that. It defo was the name by 1985 as I remember local events under the banner of Glasnevin North around this time.;)

It comprises as far as I can remember of area's of Hampstead, Albert College (beside DCU) in the D9 area, Cremore, Hillcrest, Wadelai, Glasnevin Ave, Willow Park, and Pinewood all in the D11 area. I think the houses on both sides of Ballymun Rd which splits the D9/D11 postal district from Mobie Rd to Glasnevin Ave are also included. Houses on Ballymun Rd post the Glasnevin Ave/Collins Ave Ext junction are not included IIRC. I'm not sure on the houses on the Rise and Walnut tho.

I'm not sure but I also think some of the houses of Collins Ave Ext may be included upto the turn off to Crestfield but can be open to correction on that as the borders of Whitehall and Santry start approx here as Shanowen Rd is Santry and Glenclody Rd & Farlcarragh Rd are Whitehall and Aidan's boy school is Whitehall.

I also don't think it includes Sycamore or Cedarwood if IIRC which would be Finglas - a gran lived in Cedarwood or old Ballymun as yer man Bono calls it as it was then but it's Finglas East these days - well since the mid 80's.

Glasnevin Ave is Glasnevin and was called Ballymun Ave upto about I think 1985 when it's name changed so it's not quite _so_ recent either.

Beneavin and Ferndale are nice mature areas. Local boys school is the De La Salle which is a good school - ex neighbours of mine went there as did I (I repeated my leaving there - they take or did take girls for the repeat yr back in the late 80's/early 90's) and is classed as Finglas and which is in the good part.. Some people call it Glasnevin North but strictly speaking it's not really - see http://www.beneavin.com/school/school_details.htm

Finglas South and Finglas East are the the good parts..

I think you will find that if you looked at an Ordnance Survey Ireland map that Glasnevin North is not a figment of imagination.

So as I understand it An Post, the OSI and DCC (as mentioned by another poster) must all be incorrect and you and csirl are correct.

Fair enough so. I'll leave ye to it.

I think we're talking apples and oranges here.

Wayfinding maps often have locally used vernacular names as well as official names. They also tend to include things like RC/COI parish names which have no legal standing. As I said earlier, the key is in the deeds. Whatever townland is listed on the deeds is the official location of the property.

While I'm not from the Beneavin area, I do know some people who are. It is a nice residential area. The people I know who've lived there for decades would call the area old Finglas. As mentioned earlier, "Glasnevin North" is a made up name adopted by some residents in the 80s for snob value. You should chose where you want to lived based on whether or not you like the area, not because it is officially in one area or another.

As mentioned earlier, "Glasnevin North" is a made up name adopted by some residents in the 80s for snob value.

I'm sorry but this is simply a lie.
The OSI calls the area specified Glasnevin North.
You have simply said that anything outside of D9 is not Glasnevin and at not one stage have you backed it up with any source whatsoever.

csirl did provide an explanation of sorts:

Wayfinding maps often have locally used vernacular names as well as official names. They also tend to include things like RC/COI parish names which have no legal standing. As I said earlier, the key is in the deeds. Whatever townland is listed on the deeds is the official location of the property.

LLL is for discussing what is like to live in certain areas / neighbourhoods.

This type of question does not belong here.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back