"Belfast" vs "Good Friday" agreement

Not so sure, I recall encountering US border posts in Dublin Airport on my way to New York. Most countries afford sovereignty to foreign embassies within their own jurisdiction.
Yes, but you weren't travelling within Ireland after going to US Pre-clearance in Dublin.

@WolfeTone you are being silly there. The majority of people in NI do not like this protocol one bit despite the implied promise in the GFA that there would be no significant change to NI's status without their consent.
If you are typical of pan nationalism/republicanism and you equate what is happening in NI to US custom clearance at Dublin Airport, if I were a unionist I wouldn't trust any weasel words of reconciliation that you might utter.

Last edited:
Yes, but you weren't travelling within Ireland after going to US Pre-clearance in Dublin.

I know, I was travelling in Ireland and happened upon border posts of a foreign nation while going about my business to board an aircraft in this country.
I know it is not an identical situation but the premise is similar.

Sinn Féin TD Matt Carthy's eulogy at a commemoration of the IRA man Séamus McElwain, who is the prime suspect in the attempted murder of Arleen Forster's father and suspected in at least 10 murders in total, is hardly the Shinners moving to understand and come closer to the Loyalist community. It shows the Unionists that the Shinners are looking for a triumph rather than as accommodation.

Last edited:
Sinn Féin TD Matt Carthy's eulogy at a commemoration of the IRA man Séamus McElwain, who is the prime suspect in the attempted murder of Arleen Forster's father and suspected in at least 10 murders in total, is hardly the Shinners moving to understand and come closer to the Loyalist community. It shows the Unionists that the Shinners are looking for a triumph rather than as accommodation.

Why? Are not both sides allowed to commemorate their dead?
The DUP regularly attend commemorative events of British Army soldiers who served in NI and were responsible for the murder of innocent civilians. What does that say to the families, nationalist and republicans, who were victims of this violence?

Why? Are not both sides allowed to commemorate their dead?
Not in such a manner, if they want to bring the other side closer to a sustained peace and a united Ireland.
The DUP regularly attend commemorative events of British Army soldiers who served in NI and were responsible for the murder of innocent civilians.
Really? I don't remember commemorations of specific named soldiers who actually murdered people.

Reactions: Leo
And now another Shinner has been arrested, this time for a murder here in this country. I expect he'll be eulogised as well.

Not in such a manner, if they want to bring the other side closer to a sustained peace and a united Ireland.

I don't understand.

Really? I don't remember commemorations of specific named soldiers who actually murdered people.

Yes, well in order to commemorate murderers, they need to be convicted of murder first.
Unlike the thousands of Irish people that served through British State prisons for their part in the conflict, I think only 4 British soldiers were ever convicted of murder. A pretty derisory return on an organisation that was responsible for over 300 deaths. Including, the aforementioned Séamus McElwain who was shot, captured, and murdered by the British Army.
So much for law and order!

And now another Shinner has been arrested, this time for a murder here in this country. I expect he'll be eulogised as well.

He was expelled from SF after being involved in some caper, attempted kidnapping as far as I recall.

I don't understand.
I know you don't, as made clear by this;
Yes, well in order to commemorate murderers, they need to be convicted of murder first.
Unlike the thousands of Irish people that served through British State prisons for their part in the conflict, I think only 4 British soldiers were ever convicted of murder. A pretty derisory return on an organisation that was responsible for over 300 deaths. Including, the aforementioned Séamus McElwain who was shot, captured, and murdered by the British Army.
So much for law and order!

He was expelled from SF after being involved in some caper, attempted kidnapping as far as I recall.
Right, but if he'd kidnapped and then murdered a "Brit", or a member of the Gardaí while robbing a bank, that would be okay. In fact he'd be awarded a "Good Republican" Medal and senior Shinners would collect him from Prison.
Well we know that the Shinners must know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Right, but if he'd kidnapped and then murdered a "Brit", or a member of the Gardaí while robbing a bank, that would be okay

No of course. No more than if a mother of eight children who, on going to the aid of a young boy lying wounded in the street from British Army fire, was herself shot several times in the head and body that part of her face was blown off. And as the autopsy showed, she lay wounded for a period slowly bleeding to death without any attempt to provide medical attention.

To cap it all, Joan Connolly was then labelled an IRA woman to besmirch, deflect, detract from any proper investigation into her murder. A murder, that successive British governments to this day continue to cover-up (If Mary Lou is answerable for Mountbatten and should apologise, then Boris is answerable for what happened to Joan Connolly and should apologise)

This is hardly the British governments way of fostering closer relations between two communities, is it? It shows the British State, slavishly followed by loyalist community, are looking for a triumph, not accommodation.

This is hardly the British governments way of fostering closer relations between two communities, is it? It shows the British State, slavishly followed by loyalist community, are looking for a triumph, not accommodation.
Is there a commemoration by Unionist politicians to the soldier who shot Joan Connolly? Did her killer set out with the expressed intention of killing her that day? Was he also suspected in up to ten other killings?

The attempt to establish a moral equivalence between the killings by the British Army, some of which were certainly murders, and the murders committed by the IRA is sickening and contemptible.

I wonder how the Shinners would react if a member of FF or FG was found to have kidnapped someone and then waterboarded them, was shown to have links to a criminal gang, was linked to a terrorist organisation and was then charges with murder?
Would kicking him out of the Party be enough?

Back