"Belfast" vs "Good Friday" agreement

Sounds like there is general agreement that in a UI there would be no Stormont?, I think thats a must. The medieval bunfight must be no more.

I'm kinda gone off the idea of the Commonwealth, isn't it a bit 'pat on the head for the noble savage'? Any supranational attachment is surely with the EU, and can you have more than 1 going at the same time? Probably not a deal breaker but would stick in the craw a bit. Absolute no to British army/Navy installations. They can send over Tom Cruise to piroutte with the Ruskies if it comes to it. Fleg/anthem/symbols - am ok with these, accepting that the union flag will still no doubt fly, as probably will the tricolour - none of these things butter any parsnips as Ivan Yeats might say.

I've some detailed thoughts on this subject Duke. The south should now initiate a United Irishmen Day, a new bank holiday on the 12th, celebrating what brings us together and the diversity of Irish culture.

Free concert on the evening of the 11th. Parade on O'Connell Street on the 12th, St. Patricks Day style, get the yanks back over, invite a few from the Orange Order. Bit of pagentry in Croke Park (height of new inter-county season) during a double header.

That way it'll be well established (& a wee bit detoxified...we hope) by the time of a UI. Sure who doesn't like an extra bank holiday in the middle of summer....and an excuse for street drinking in Dublin.;)

:D, no, I was thinking more along the lines of Macnas big heads, swirly flags, Caithlín Ní Houlihán emerges from a polystyrene crypt, all that type of auld guff.
Oh alright... could the Macnas big heads, be wearing bowler hats?

Huge big Bowler Hats and tiny little pikes?

I've always thought that if I was a nationalist and an Orange parade was marching down my "traditional route" street, I'd get everyone in the street to dress up as Charlie Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy and just join in.

King Billy never wore a bowler

Nah, gotta be big pikes. and we'll make Kelly from Killane out of the HUGE woman that went through the streets of Limeirck - "who is that giant with the gold curling hair......and the dress....."

Kelly from Killane
Yes, the man who disobeyed specific orders from his commander and launched a failed attack on Ross which got loads of his men killed, got shot in the leg and, as a result of his injury, got himself captured in Wexford when it was retaken by the British and was executed.

I always thought he epitomised all the bull and hot air that goes with misty-eyed nationalism.
Of course misty-eyed Unionism is as bad or worse; the Unionists celebrate a battle between two foreign Kings, fought in what to them is a foreign land.

It's a BANG-GIN tune though innit fam!!
Yea, t'is.

Is it as good as Boolavogue?

If we do end up with a United Ireland we should adopt Franz, Duke of Bavaria, as our head of State. He's the Heir to the Jacobite line and, unlike the ones in charge in the UK now, his family actually opposed the Nazis. It would also be a great way to suck up to the Germans.

I like Boolavogue, but it's not very tub thumping. As regards your other suggestion - Up the Republic....

I like Boolavogue, but it's not very tub thumping. As regards your other suggestion - Up the Republic....
Don't you mean "Irland über alles"?
The Shinners could have a "Our German is better than your German" slagging match instead of murdering children. It would be great!

Ze deutschlander vill be heving quite zenuf influence already - ich danke Ihnen sehr (& if that last bit is wrong blame google translate)
Marvellous people the Germans, marvellous.
The one leader in the UK that has a consistently high approval rating is a German.

Back