Being Forced to submit Form 11 rather than 12

tecate

I pursued an interest last year that seems to be deemed by revenue as primary trading as I can't submit a Form 12 as I did last year (where I would have accounted for the additional piece of income).

It seems I have to register for ROS - which will take a bit of time as they have to post out some number or other. Can I just submit a manual form 11 - posting it in to Revenue?

There's a self assessment section on the form that I have to complete or else take a €250 penalty => https://imgur.com/a/wJgRQZK

What are the current tax/USC rates?

I know ordinarily people would advise ask your accountant. However, I'm a PAYE worker - this was a sideline and involves a relatively small amount of money. I've related accounts/receipts prepared otherwise.

If your profit from the trade was less than €xx, (about €5k I think) you can put it on a form 12.

If Revenue have issued you a form 11 you will need to return it or have it recalled.

Ring Revenue, tell them that you should only need to fill in a form 12. Ask them to cancel the 11 and reissue a 12. Ask very nicely. They may do so.

Failing the above,

You could fill in the form 11 and with regards the self assessment panel - download the ros offline ( its just a blank template Form- doesn’t require the whole registration process) and plug your figures in there and it will calculate the self assessment panel details and copy those and put on the paper return.,

Paper return to be submitted by 31.10.18

If your profit from the trade was less than €xx, (about €5k I think) you can put it on a form 12.
I'll be above that threshold so I guess it's a form 11.
Failing the above,
You could fill in the form 11 and with regards the self assessment panel - download the ros offline ( its just a blank template Form- doesn’t require the whole registration process) and plug your figures in there and it will calculate the self assessment panel details and copy those and put on the paper return.,
Paper return to be submitted by 31.10.18
Ok, so the ros online form automatically applies the tax rate and usc? I guess I might as well wait for the registration number to come in the post and do it online. However, its good to know just in case there's any hiccup with logging in to ROS - thanks.

I'm still waiting on this number for ROS which will allow me to complete registration, log in and file. If for some reason, I find myself at the end of the month and have no choice but to submit manually, can tax returns be dropped in to the local Revenue office? I'd like to get some sort of proof that I've filed on time if I have to do it manually.

The extended deadline for filing online is 14 Nov 2018 if that's any help?

Back