being forced to stay overnight for work.

• Thread starter prizefighter
  • Start date
You sound young and perhaps uncomfortable about attending the meeting for whatever reason. Instead of trying the force an answer from a forum about your own issue with your role, take a look at what it is you really want to do. Then use the energy you are putting into 'taking a stand' on this matter into finding a role that really suits you. For your own sake in the meantime and your job reference for your new role, go to the meeting (assuming all is professional and above board) and chalk down the experience. You never know, you might meet your new boss at the meeting!!!

I am a surveyor and have been asked work away for a year. It will involve staying over 3 nights a week. They will pay for my accommodation and evening meal.

Do you think I should get something else for doing this?

I wouldn't have a problem if it was just for a week or two but it means i will be away from home for a full year for half the week.

Of course you can refuse to go. Then you can expect no promotion opportunities, get skipped over for advancement, kiss any raises goodbye, be lucky you still have a job afterwards.

Work in = Rewards out. If you don't get the rewards, move on. If you don't put the work in, expect to be moved out.

I am a surveyor and have been asked work away for a year. It will involve staying over 3 nights a week. They will pay for my accommodation and evening meal.

Do you think I should get something else for doing this?

I wouldn't have a problem if it was just for a week or two but it means i will be away from home for a full year for half the week.

It is up to you, your employer can't force you to do something like that.
Are you getting all expenses covered? That's the least you should get.

Back