Being 'followed' on AAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirsty

I got a message that I'm being followed on AAM. I don't like it & I asked the member to remove the request/flag but no response so far.

How can I stop this & prevent anyone else from 'following' me?

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but: delete your account or post under multiple usernames (if that's permitted).

Since you're posting on a public forum, there are multiple ways people could be notified when you post here (e.g. using a Google Alert).

It is not like being stalked, in fact I would take it as a compliment if someone is interested enough in what you have to say to follow you.

Hi Thirsty

Why is it a problem? They don't see anything private. I presume that they just get an email to say you have posted.

I think that we can disable it,but it requires a hack, which we are reluctant to do.

If someone is hassling you e.g. following you and then trolling you, let us know and we would deal with that.

Brendan

I got a message that I'm being followed on AAM. I don't like it & I asked the member to remove the request/flag but no response so far.

How can I stop this & prevent anyone else from 'following' me?

Boo!

On a more serious note ... with a name like 'Thirsty', the follower hasn't much to go on, so I reckon you're safe.

I just checked to see if anyone was following me ... two souls .... but I must have frightened them off as one was last seen in 2013 and the other in 2014!

@ PaddyBloggit

You are clearly one of the chosen few!

Can't say that I have the same success as you!:cool:

Marion

Hah! I didn't realise you could do that. I've just set up some "follows". The OP may have unwittingly started something! :p

"Why is it a problem?"

I don't like that someone is alerted every time I post something, it feels creepy quite frankly

I've messaged them and asked them to remove the flag/request. They have ignored my message.

I think posters on this site should be able to make the choice to set this option in their profile as you can with other forms of contact.

"Why is it a problem?"

I don't like that someone is alerted every time I post something, it feels creepy quite frankly

I've messaged them and asked them to remove the flag/request. They have ignored my message.

I think posters on this site should be able to make the choice to set this option in their profile as you can with other forms of contact.

I've followed you too, just for the craic.

I've only got one follower at the moment so I'd love if you followed me back, like FB friends... :)

Seriously though, posting here is public, so anyone and everyone can see it. Being followed is just someone's way of making sure they get to see your posts. If you don't want people who are interested in what you have to say reading what you have to say, you'd be better off writing in a diary in invisible ink...

"Why is it a problem?"

I got a message that I am being followed too and like you I don't like it. Mods / Brendan can you please take a look ?

Follow is an unusual feature, but on all forum sites I have seen you can view a list of a user's previous posts... not sure what follow really gives you or whether anyone should be concerned by being followed?

Just overload your followers with a blitz of posts... they'll get so many alerts you might even end up on their ignore list :)

Dear God, some people have little to be worried about, as pointed out this is a public forum. I assume if somebody posts then they expect it to be read, what difference does it make if it is read by somebody who gets a notification that the post exists.

Trump has in excess of 32 MILLION followers on Twitter, each one of them getting notified when he posts, and you don't hear him giving out. ;)

I have just discovered to my horror that I am being followed by 87 people!

To make it worse, apparently I am following 7 people.

I wasn't aware of it. I don't get any emails. I suppose there must be some way finding the most recent posts of the 7 people, but I have never done so.

Brendan

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-29_17-1-49.png
    upload_2017-9-29_17-1-49.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 335
I'm set up to get an alert every single time a new topic is opened on any forum. Doesn't matter who you are, I will see your posts. It's nothing nefarious. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back