Being blinded by certain headlights - is it just me?

RMCF

I am wondering if anyone else finds that some new headlights are blinding as they approach?

I do know that some of the boy racers, when they replace the bulbs, can be offset and blind you, but I'm talking more about the factory fitted ones that are on relatively new cars (I think they are Xenon bulbs - a lot whiter than normal).

I particularly find Audi and BMW cars guilty more than others?

Is it just my eyes?

I have found that too, I guess they have made the lights better for the drivers but not the passers-by!

I have found that too, I guess they have made the lights better for the drivers but not the passers-by!

Its not being a passerby I'm worried about, its being a driver coming in the opposite direction.

I find that when driving on dark country roads/lanes (usually with no lighting) and one of these cars approaches you, there is actually a time when you can't actually see anything in front of you. You are driving on instinct as you drive the route often and know that the road may be straight ahead. But you cannot see the verges, the road markings, pavements etc for a few secs while this car passes you. It is unnerving at times.

It's not just you.

The problem is probably aftermarket xenon-filled bulbs and bad adjustment.

Factory-fit xenon discharge lamps aren't as bad as they have levelling compensation.

These should be banned on SUVs like Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, MLs etc. IMHO as they are completely blinding.

SSE

My current car (and my previous one) has a switch to adjust the throw/angle of the lights (0, 1, 2). When there's a lot of weight in the back of the car the lights point up slightly and could blind oncoming traffic unless adjusted downwards.

My current car (and my previous one) has a switch to adjust the throw/angle of the lights (0, 1, 2). When there's a lot of weight in the back of the car the lights point up slightly and could blind oncoming traffic unless adjusted downwards.

Its all well and good having adjustments, but do you really think the driver of these cars that are blinding people even know that they are? And if they know, do you think that they care? I would doubt it. Doesn't make it any easier for other drivers. I think its time that the authorities got involved. What was wrong with the old light bulbs anyway? I can see perfectly well when driving in the dark with my old bulbs - I don't need ones that are 50% brighter:rolleyes:.

I totally agree about big SUVs/Land Rovers etc having them, as their headlights are so much higher and blind you whether you are approaching them or are in front of them.

I too was having problems with oncoming traffic.

Had an eye test and found I needed glasses for driving. Maybe you should consult an optician RMCF as oncoming lights are not a problem for me anymore.

Some of these vehicles have the front fog lights on all the time. Is that not illegal in Ireland? In Canada it is, and is enforced wherever possible. There is no visual improvement but some drivers just like the look.:confused:

Some of these vehicles have the front fog lights on all the time. Is that not illegal in Ireland?

AFAIK, it is. I don't see this as a problem at all though - I don't notice any extra glare etc from these.

Much more of a problem when rear fogs are on TBH - which is rare enough.

I drive around quite a bit and see plenty of fog lights on cars.

I just presume they have no idea

a) that they are on
b) where the switch is
c) what is that orange light on the dash?

Badly aligned headlights are everywhere, its a regular occurance to get blinded by a headlight that appears to be on full beam.

The biggest problem I have seen is with after-market bi-xenon high-intensity driving lamps or HID's, which are available off flea-bay and other places (these are not the same as xenon bulbs retro-fitted in regular head-lamp housings).

By EU law if these are fitted to a car, either factory fit or after-market, they must have both auto-adjusting beam sensors and head-lamp washers and I have'nt yet seen an after-market kit sold with sensors and washers although the documentation supplied states they are needed.

It needs to be a NCT failure to fit them incorrectly.

I agree with mathe about the bulbs :D

I love the new design of a row of lights on the Audi's... but God they are bright!

What is even worse is the number of cars that have one headlight only. There must be no enforcement of the law otherwise there would not be so many on the roads with defective lights.

Could it also be due to poor diet? AFAIK, the visual purple in your eyes is temporarily bleached when a headlight glares and takes time to regenerate. [broken link removed] Vit A deficiency can therefore lead to a type of night blindness, especially on unlit roads, where the contrast is greater than in constantly-lit urban areas.

The glare on new cars and "boy racer" cars is down to the HID bulbs. New cars, such as Audi, Mercs etc should be a bit brighter but are tolerable. This is due to them being adjusted correctly.

Alot of the aftermarket kits are done DIY and not adjusted correctly. Also alot of people don't realise headlights need to be adjusted pending the weight in your car at that time.

The HID lights are great visability for drivers, and aren't blinding to oncoming motorists in theory. But, DIY jobs make it a burden..

Just try not to concentrate/ look directly at the lights otherwise will leave you blinded for a few secs after.

+1 with sse and mathepac, after market ones , especially the really cheap ones are dire... I've even seen a Vito van with them on and one was flickering on and off don't know if it was cheap or badly installed.. Another angle is and i'm only speaking from personel experience is that they are a different colour and my eye is first drawn to them then blinded, so maybe if you see a car coming to train youself to look to the side to make sure there's no one walking or cycling... Worked for me.

I have noticed the same problem with some on-coming cars blinding me - I found that very often the problem is made worse by the fact that my headlights were dirty - when this is the case, you're eyes get used to a certain level of light and can then be blinded by somone who has clean headlights, nevermind someone with xenons, HID's etc. for the record, i have Xenon's on my car and only ever get flashed at by on-coming motorists when my lights are clean!!

Back