Beetle or scorpion or what?

Smashing!

Saw one of them in the Glen of Imaal while out on a training exercise patrol this weekend just gone, we were totally astonished and figured it was just one of the many weird creatures that live there!!

it did indeed shove its tail up at us and opened those quite nasty looking mandibles - thankfully i missed the bit about the smell it releases!!! we just let it get on with things though. fairly vicious looking little bugger all the same!

are you having a laugh mate did you really see one of these things in the glen. the worst thing i have ever seen up there was in the old camp i.e. the food in the dining hall

It may be the scorpionis hibernicus. Let it sting you, or someone else if you prefer, and check later to see if you are either dead or very swollen.

I saw one of these fellas in Blanchardstown yesterday at a bus stop. It was huge i've never seen a beetle here that big. It looked more like a scorpion than a beetle. I picked it up with a leaf and i couldn't believe the strenght of it. Its pincers and its mandible were going crazy i was lucky to not be stung by it
Oh yeah and i did notice a weird smell from it,but i didn't know it could fly too these things are scary :eek:

The kids spotted one of these yesterday while walking to school - didn't stop to smell it.....

Back