Bees

Qbot

HI - we have a garden shed which we were clearning out recently. There is some insulation (yellow stuff) which is in the corner on the ground which we have discovered bees in.. dont know how many there are... please advise if anyone can on what to do.. havent been in the shed in 3 weeks as too scared of them! thanks

Hi Qbot

I'm kind of in the same situation as yourself, however, I was doing the garden over the weekend and came across yellow stuff as well, it was like little mustard pearl seeds, a friend of mine went at it with a rake (stupid, I know) and bee's started to come from nowhere, however, they weren't in my shed, they were under the soil. I know this sounds strange, but, I haven't been out my back garden since last weekend, as I'm terrified of bee's. Any suggestions.

Regards

Hizzy

Leave them alone. Failing that, contact the Irish Beekeepers' Association - they will send someone around who will humanely move the hive off your property.

If you know of any person who does honey in your area contact him as often they like to get new hives and he will gladly take them away for you. Don't destroy them.

Contact the Beekeppers Association. I have a friend in South Dublin area who will move the hive for you.

Qbot, where abouts are you?

I know a fella looking for swarms at the moment. I'm in Co.Cork.

They are not necessarily honey bees that a beekeeper would take, they are around 7 or so different types of bees in Ireland if I recall correctly. Not all produce large amounts of honey.

Right folks - lets not get carried away here!! Will look into bee keepers assocation, failing that, i will get a few bottles of Jey's Fluid and dump it over them. They are in the insultion from the house that i left in the shed.. thanks for all your replies!!!!!!

Why would you kill bees?
They are unlikely to bother you.

The hive will likely be gone come winter.

Because i would like to use my shed and get at things in there without worries of bees!! they are dangerous to have in there.

You must be confusing bees with wasps who will attack someone near the nest very quickly.

If you ignore them, they will ignore you.

Did you ever hear of anyone being attacked by bees?

I understand that you may be afraid of them but your only answer is to want to kill them? Hope you are not afraid of cats or dogs..........:eek:

Thats the thing, my partner went into the shed and touched the insulation and the bees went mad after him.. about 5 or 6.. they were definitly bees. So thats why I am scared - and no... love cats and dogs!!

silly thing to say but what colour are the bees? and are the bees living under ground ? they could be a type of bumble bee who unlike the honey bees never swarm although they do possess a sting (and some types do not )they are not aggressive they are of no value to the bee keepers as they produce small amounts of honey they are important pollinators for both farmers and gardeners
bee keepers will remove the nest for you as they are a beneficial insect that is declining in numbers.

Back