Bees hanging on the laundry?

BetsyClark

This evening as I was shaking the laundry which came off the line, 7 bees flew out and freaked the life out of me.

It seems very early for bees, and I wonder if they are out and about because of the weather, or if we might have a nest close by? I spotted a neighbours bright yellow door had up to 20 resting on it the other day.

I am a bit concerned about the possibiity of my son being stung as he reacts very badly to ant bites.

Any one else seen bees recently? Any advice?

Betsy

I have noticed a huge increase in the Hover Bees in our back garden. In my mind these are worse than ordinary bees that just go about their business. These seem to just hover in the air above you.

On Saturday evening the front of our house was covered by bees. There must have been 30-40 bees. Slow moving bees that don't fly off if you try to get them away. I had to get 3 out of the kitchen. They are also on the laundry and pegs too. No idea what it's about but thinking they've left a hive somewhere near by because of the heat we had last week.

The only thing to do is to shake out the clothes as you take them off the line. Then I would put them in the tumble dryer for a few minutes. I do remember that a bee got stuck in a sock and I put it on my son a few days later. No damage done thankfully

I have noticed a huge increase in the Hover Bees in our back garden. In my mind these are worse than ordinary bees that just go about their business. These seem to just hover in the air above you.

Your Hover Bee are in fact Hover Fly. They are completely harmless as they don't have a sting!

"Larvae are effective predators of aphids and other troublesome insects. Adults are important pollinators. The hover fly hurriedly floats from flower to flower, drinking nectar. By doing so, they are excellent pollinators, which we now need since so many of our honey bees are being destroyed."

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Hover-Fly_vq979.htm

Your Hover Bee are in fact Hover Fly. They are completely harmless as they don't have a sting!

"Larvae are effective predators of aphids and other troublesome insects. Adults are important pollinators. The hover fly hurriedly floats from flower to flower, drinking nectar. By doing so, they are excellent pollinators, which we now need since so many of our honey bees are being destroyed."

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Hover-Fly_vq979.htm

Unless its the Carpenter Bee which i think is know as a 'hoverer'! The hang out in wood.

The bees on the washing were looking for somewhere to nest (shady and airy). They've probably been woken up by last weeks warmer weather. Unfortunately, if we get a cold snap it will kill them off before the summer.

Back