Bedroom Renovations, removing fireplaces, wooden floors

DeeKie

we have a 1950s house. We got it renovated a few years ago. At the time budget didn't stretch to flooring in the bedrooms, or wardrobes. So we sanded and varnished the very rough, gappy floorboards and left the beige tiled fireplaces. Am now thinking of getting a builder into to take out the fireplaces, put in flooring and getting fitted wardrobes in the two double bedrooms. I'm going to leave the two smaller bedrooms as we might build over the garage and extend them in coming years.

So, any tips? Any suggestions on what type of wood to use on the floors? What'd be the rough cost of getting rid of two fireplaces?

A sledge hammer will break out the fireplace easy enough; you might want to check about putting in a vent up high on the remaining chimney breast.

Recommend Balterio flooring, good quality & value for bedrooms. Budget to replace the skirting boards as well, it looks much better.

Over the years I've pulled out all the built in wardrobes in my house; you dont have any flexibility with them in a room I think.

A sledge hammer will break out the fireplace easy enough; you might want to check about putting in a vent up high on the remaining chimney breast.

Unless it is cast iron of course, if so there are two screws near the top and at the bottom at the sides which can be removed, you may need to dig for them.

Then bring them somewhere like a salvage yard and sell them (you won't get much for them)

....unless they happen to be tiled fire surrounds of course in which case the sledge is the best option

Over the years I've pulled out all the built in wardrobes in my house; you dont have any flexibility with them in a room I think.

I never thought of that and it is very true.

we have a 1950s house. We got it renovated a few years ago. At the time budget didn't stretch to flooring in the bedrooms, or wardrobes. So we sanded and varnished the very rough, gappy floorboards and left the beige tiled fireplaces. Am now thinking of getting a builder into to take out the fireplaces, put in flooring and getting fitted wardrobes in the two double bedrooms. I'm going to leave the two smaller bedrooms as we might build over the garage and extend them in coming years.

You could tear the floorboards up and then relay them with a filler piece towards a wall which would not be visible maybe stain the board so it looks close to the original.

Fitted wardrobes depending on what you are looking for can be great or not.

The big thing is get good quality ones and don't waste time buying cheap because theyw ill always look exactly what they are....cheap.

Fire surrounds....bang bang and as Thirsty says put a vent at the top of the chimney breast

They are nice, and like ours. But show me a photo with a nice built in wardrobe adjacent that looks good. If you can I'll keep them

Fire surrounds....bang bang and as Thirsty says put a vent at the top of the chimney breast

Can I ask why at the top ? This would mean having to break through the chimney breast to the pot.

Would it suffice to leave one brick out when bricking up where the fireplace was ?, that would give you your vent, albeit lower down.

Can I ask why at the top ? This would mean having to break through the chimney breast to the pot.

Would it suffice to leave one brick out when bricking up where the fireplace was ?, that would give you your vent, albeit lower down.

Less chance of covering it up with furniture I guess.

We have fireplaces in all our bedrooms (cast iron ones) and have fitted wardrobes. Ours are a gloss cream colour (wardrobes that is). We stripped layers of paint off the fireplaces and they are back to the original cast iron.

Back