Becoming a taxi driver?

Yep some don't have a great knowledge but current testing is very detailed as cole rightly says. Most Dubs would fail it I bet!!! What exactly does the course cover. Just wonder how they can teach you a good knowledge of driving from one place to another on a course?

The course covers all the embassies, pubs, hotels, nightclubs, hospitals etc that you need to know ie what road are they on etc. It also goes into the fare structure, rules of the road and finally the routes e.g name all the roads between the airport and Bus Aras or between Dail Eireann and the zoo (!) and so on. It also goes into detail about what streets are adjacent to a specific road etc. It really is detailed. You can get past/sample papers from the carriage office I think.

Hey Sophia, can you update me on this? how did it all go for you?
Im really tempted to go into this for a few months or even a year to try get some cash together.
Any tips/advice?
Thanks & good luck

I've been taxiing since October.

I grossed €530 one 14 hour shift there before xmas (mid office party season). Most busy nights (Thursday to Sunday, 12 hours) you'd do €300-€400, gross. January will be a bit lean (I'm predicting €250-€300 on Fri & Sat nights)

I pay €80 a week in insurance cos I'm still 'young' in the eyes of the insurance co. (I'm 25).

I've a '93 toyota carina E which I bought off a family friend for €600. I reckon I'd spend €35 on fuel for a typical 12 hour shift.

Sure beats my multinational job (indeed many professional jobs) that paid me a miserly 30k a year...

I'm getting out at the end of 2007 though. It's a means to an end for me, not a very good lifestyle - you can get sucked into the easy way of life and miss out on opportunities elsewhere in the economy.

My neighbour does it and thurs,Friday, Saturday, he goes out at 8pm comes home at 3am he usually makes at least 900euro and up to 1200 on a good weekend
Factor in the fisherman tale factor here. Above poster is more accurate I'd say. It is also an accurate assessment regarding the stress factor. Burn out is high in the industry unless you do it for the day shift which is a lot less stress but also less return. Get the PSV and try City cabs or similar operation for a month. At worst you will have put in a lot of hours for little return and but you will also get a feel for where and when the money is. Regarding the wheelchair question while you save 6k on the licence you will be obliged to have a certain spec of vehicle which generally costs more than 6k over a normal saloon car.

Hi
I run a training course on a one-to-one basis and cll to your home to deliver it.

Unless he has already got an offer of continuous work a wheelchair vehicle might not be viable.

There has been no age limit set for vehicles yet.

If you intend buying a new car - remem,ber you get the same fare for a new or a well kept second hand car.

The points may be a problem.

If he contacts his local Garda st. they will clarify this.

Hi

My husband is thinking of going into the taxi business in the New Year.

We know what he needs to do - psv licence etc but we have a few questions :

What year/type of car would be besteg - would an '03 saloon be best or should he go for wheelchair accessible (or maybe that's better for hackney work which isnt what he wants)

How many hours would he need to work a week approx to cover new car, insurance, running costs etc and make a few bob?

Has anyone bought a taxi from www.taxitaxi.ie and would this be a good idea?

He has 2 penalty points for speeding - will this discount him from becoming a taxi driver?

Thanks for your patience...it's a big decision and we'd appreciate your advice.

Yep some don't have a great knowledge but current testing is very detailed as cole rightly says. Most Dubs would fail it I bet!!! What exactly does the course cover. Just wonder how they can teach you a good knowledge of driving from one place to another on a course?

Considering the number of non nationals driving taxis in Dublin, I cant see that most Dubs would fail the test. Unless there is something hooky going on. A friend tells me non nationals are tested separately from Irish applicants, and are allowed take maps to the test and allowed pass on a much lower score. Anyone know if there is corruption involved in the selection process?

What that friend told you is totally untrue. Non nationals take exactly the same test, are scored exactly the same - absolute rubbish to say that there is a separate test. The Gardai run the test and no corruption takes place - I know that for certain and if you don't check it out with the Gardai involved. The reason non nationals do so well in these tests is that they actually do good preparation for it while the Dubs just breeze in expecting to pass because they lived here all their lives. Its amazing how many Dubs couldn't tell you where the Civic Museum for example is yet someone from Asia could!!

A friend tells me non nationals are tested separately from Irish applicants, and are allowed take maps to the test and allowed pass on a much lower score. Anyone know if there is corruption involved in the selection process?
Tinkerbell is right, this is rubbish. I sat with non-nationals who were doing the test and everyone is treated the same. The Carriage Office will put your friend right about this. The simple fact is that you have to study to pass the exam, even if you're a "true blue".

Back