Becoming a tax resident in another EU country

Freedom

Husband & I are early retired in France with a private income generated in Ireland. We are researching becoming tax resident in France. One of many questions we have is that we currently sign for our yearly tax credits (to maximise our contributory pension) in Ireland? Could we continue to sign for these credits yearly in Ireland or what?
Many thanks in advance.

If I were you, I'd contact the Revenue Commissioners and Dept of Social Security asap and have everything documented and open between all. Believe me, both have a different way to viewing the same thing. And that's before you contact the revenue commissioners in France.

Thank you Leper, although I don't get that the Revenue Commissioners have anything to do with tax credits, except work on behalf of the Dept of Social Welfare in collecting PRSI. Therefore, would it not be that we speak only to the Dept of Social Welfare in this matter?
All informations are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I think Gipimann has answered the Social Security part of your query. If you are to gain a Residency in France and will be there for more than 182 days per year, you will be liable for income tax. The Irish Revenue Commissioners will have to be advised too. You could do worse than employ a financial advisor in France to look after the transition.

OP, when you say early retirement... how early are you talking about?
You will likely be losing Irish state pension entitlements, when/if you hit the magic number.
Maybe this does not matter to you?

Thank you Leper, that is the whole point of my research and obviously we would have to inform Rev Commissioners etc. but specifically was wondering regarding Pension credits which Gipimann answered for me! I'm prefering to inform myself of all the pros and cons as our income is very small so employing an adviser is not an option.

Back