Becoming a soccer referee

bluetoff

Just looking to find out what steps I need to take to become a soccer referee in Dublin, I have done the google searches but I've had no reply from anyone I've tried to contact. Thanks

You get in touch with the FAI. They will tell you the various leagues in your area. They run a referees course over five nights in July/August which you must do and pass. It's cheap enough, I did it in 1999 and it was a tenner. You can register on the first night and do the course straight away. You just need to find out where and when they are on.

Consider it carefully. Had a colleague who tried it out some years back. He got dogs abuse week after week and was physically threatened regularly.

Also know 4 people in the last decade who used to ref in local leagues and who have all packed it in.

They all said it wasn't worth the hassle. As you can imagine the level of abuse they get has been on the increase as people have less and less respect for refs and their decisions.

I know of one who was physically threatened on a few occasions by senior players, and others who said that the abuse coming from the touchlines from parents was terrible.

Consider it carefully.

Back