BB: local exchange not enabled, no line of sight to wireless, options?

Hi irishpancake

Thanks for that..... i'll definately look into that one. All suggestions are welcome.

If anybody is interested i sent an email to vodafone on the same day i posted my question here asking for some info on their 3g....am still waiting for a reply, would this be the norm for them?

(btw: sn@kebite i have to agree with your comments about onspeed....)

bijou

Not surprised, I ordered a data card last April....I'm still waiting. Actually, I gave up, so if they ever do ring me to tell me my card is available I won't be taking them up on it.

Hi bijou

before going the vodafone route, perhaps you should take a look at what is available from Three (3).

They have a Datacard option, see [broken link removed].

One downside is you need to have a laptop - i.e. cannot plug into a home PC vis USB like the Vodafone option

AJC - Laptop not a problem.

however a techie question arises from this.... if i tried the 3 datacard on the laptop, would i be able to connect a wireless router to the laptop so i could connect the main pc to the net? the laptop has wireless capability and the main pc itself has a wireless card/ariel in it (belkin i think)? any ideas?

bijou

AJC - Laptop not a problem.

however a techie question arises from this.... if i tried the 3 datacard on the laptop, would i be able to connect a wireless router to the laptop so i could connect the main pc to the net? the laptop has wireless capability and the main pc itself has a wireless card/ariel in it (belkin i think)? any ideas?

bijou

And here is a techie answer..........

you can use the wireless cards in the 2 pc's without a router. They will connect directly to each other and this is called "ad hoc" mode.

A wireless connection using a router as a bridge between all the connected pc's is called "infastructure" mode.

I have one of these 3g usb modems and have the 2 laptops connected in this manner. My house in mayo isnt in a 3g area so I just get a decent GPRS signal, Its much faster than a rural eircon line and is pretty good for browsing and instant messaging

you may need to go into your wireless network settings to enable ad hoc mode: dont forget to set a password!

if your on XP its simple enough....

If all of the above seems daunting then a wireless router is a simpler (although more costly) option

Hope this helps

Damien

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all
Thanks for all your tips/suggestions - just a quick update.... I was in touch with 3 who were very helpful and quick to respond to my query unfortunately I am not in their coverage area for the 3g and won't be until at least June this year :( but their datacard does sound like the better of the 2 (still waiting on vodafone to respond by th way :mad:) I imagine there coverage would be the same.
sooo..... choices choices - do I wait till june(ish) or bite the bullet, install phone line and put up with dial-up...:( ???

Thanks all for your help.

bijou

Back