Bathroom Repairs North Kildare

Nova100

Hi all

I am looking for help please with a recommendation for bathroom wall repairs/tiling in North Kildare area. Not planning a full refurb but need to get walls around bath waterproofed following damage to plasterboard, will also need the area retiled. Not sure if some of the studs will have to be replaced - could anyone please recommend a Tiler/Plumber/Builder who would carry out this type of repair ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Make sure you get green board plaster board for the area were water is. It is a water proof material and if it's a shower area use a tank kit €40. That's a seal strip with a rubber liquid that seals up the corners. Don't scimp as it is well worth over the years.

Thanks for the reply John Luc. All info very helpful. It's a power shower over a bath. Is the green plaster board better than cement board ? Is it normally the Tiler who applies the tank kit or a Plumber ? Also with regard to the green plaster board is this a job for a builder or Tiler ? Apologies to all .... I am new to this !

Last edited:
Either cement board or green board although cement board is usually used on the floor. The tank kit is fitted by the tiler.

Also with regard to the green plaster board is this a job for a builder or Tiler ?
Just depends on the tiler, I did a couple of bathrooms last year and while getting tilers out to price a few of them offered to do the plasterboarding. I would stick the job up on tradesmen.ie and mention that you want the plasterboarding done as well, that way you'll only get responses from people who are keen to do both.

Is the green plaster board better than cement board ?
If you weren't tanking then the cement board would probably be the best bet, but if you tank it properly it shouldn't matter as you'll be creating a seal between the tile grout and the back board anyway.

As well as tanking the new plasterboard, I'd strongly recommend getting a length of Aquastrap (or equivalent) and apply it around the edge of the bath. It will prevent any water sitting on the rim of the bath seeping through the grout and down behind the bath. Very easy to fit!

Back