Bathroom Renovation Recommendations

TheLastBeep

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice and also some recommended suppliers if anyone has had a good experience with a particular supplier. We are based in the Kimmage area D6W.

We are currently looking to get our main bathroom fully updated, the scope of the work is:
  • New bath with shower zone and screen
  • New sink with storage unit
  • New toilet
  • Install fan/vent to attic then outside
  • Floor and Wall tiles
  • New rad
We don't see the layout of the room changing much. We already have a combi boiler with booster pump so if we went for a pumped shower we wouldn't need an additional pump.

As well as the above we'd like to get a small downstairs WC updated, new sanitary ware, half tile etc.

We've started getting quotes for the above work from companies who do design/supply and fit all in one, but the first one back is >€15,000 and that has surprised us a bit. After calling a few similar companies they all seem to start from €7,000 for the main bathroom so I expect them to eventually come out at a similar cost.

I expected a supply/fit company to be more expensive than sourcing everything ourselves and just getting them fitted, but I wasn't expecting such a high cost. Since we are both very busy with work I thought using one company for everything would be less stress and give a better finish.

My questions are:
  • Are we mad doing it this way, should I try and source myself and just get a fitter?
  • Will self sourcing and then fitting get us a slightly worse finish?
  • Anyone done this recently and have recommendations?
  • Any suppliers you'd recommend?
Thanks for any help!

I did something similar with self-sourcing. Got a small company called C&S from D24 not too far from you and was very happy with the work, although less happy with my own choice of kit -- ended up replacing the bath later, used the same guy again. Was a few years ago, and the main guy Steven was talking about retiring. However, the number is still up on yelp so you could try it ... https://www.yelp.ie/biz/c-and-s-plumbing-and-heating-dublin

No idea about prices nowadays. I get the impression everyone is out the door with work just like the bad old days of the Celtic Moggie, so prices are on the up and quality probably down.

Thanks @dub_nerd. I may well give them a try. I'm assuming if I discuss it with them they can give me some guidance on kit to buy too so that I learn from your mistake!

All of the companies we've contacted seem to be very busy, to the point where it is hard to get an appointment for them to come out and look at the job to quote. Still I was shocked by the 15k price.

Any other views on this?

I got a family bathroom fully renovated a couple of years ago. I sourced pretty much everything from Tubs & Tiles and then used one of their recommended fitters.

It ended up costing me about €9k all-in so €15k for all the work you've outlined above seems about right.

Back