Bathroom and bedroom ceiling condensation

guessaname

Hi,
Can somebody PLEASE suggest me what to do with this..

My house attic is insulated but still theres always condensation on the second floor bathroom ceiling near the wall that is facing the external wall. I open the bathroom window everyday after bath and switch on the extractor fan as well while bathing but still no luck. It only happens when the outside temparateure is below 3-4 degrees. The extrator fan releases the steam into the ventilator (metal) on the external block wall. I always wipe the condesation after bath but its appars again after few hours, may be due to the humidity in the air due to cooking etc.

The same thing heppens in my second floor bedroom as well when we close the doors completly when sleeping. I understand its due to the humidity in the air but it only condenses on the ceiling which is facing to the external wall.

I've checked the attic, there's nothing like water leak or something. The insulation on the attick floor looks ok. I cannot reach/check the insulation at edges of the attic as its too narrow to reach.

Can you please suggest who (tradesmen or professonal) should I contact to get this fixed?

Thanks
G

get a RH sensor for http://www.amazon.co.uk/TFA-humidity-meter-20-99-rH/dp/B002UA9RG6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1 (circa 20quid). watch it when goes over 80% as thats the 'condensation zone' (relative to heating etc of course),but that'll allow you to see if its the lack of adequate fan/ventilation
you mention 'the edge of the attic' -
>cold surfaces which you yourself admit you have, so try to solve this.
>to much moisture which you can check with RH sensor - just because you have a fan, doesn't mean its any good.
> some of the attic insulation you pushed in to the eaves is touch the sarking felt making it wet and that in turn is wetting the plaster board helping your mould to grow.

try to improve your insulation and keep the internal surface temperatures close to the room temp. then look at ventilation, I'm a 'fan'(excuse the pun) of extract fans that have an inbuilt RH monitor so they open when required and stay closed otherwise.

best of luck and i hope this helps. paint will help but if the above are addressed you are more likely to have a permanent solution

Last edited:
get a RH sensor for http://www.amazon.co.uk/TFA-humidity-meter-20-99-rH/dp/B002UA9RG6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1 (circa 20quid). watch it when goes over 80% as thats the 'condensation zone' (relative to heating etc of course),but that'll allow you to see if its the lack of adequate fan/ventilation
you mention 'the edge of the attic' -
>cold surfaces which you yourself admit you have, so try to solve this.
>to much moisture which you can check with RH sensor - just because you have a fan, doesn't mean its any good.
> some of the attic insulation you pushed in to the eaves is touch the sarking felt making it wet and that in turn is wetting the plaster board helping your mould to grow.

try to improve your insulation and keep the internal surface temperatures close to the room temp. then look at ventilation, I'm a 'fan'(excuse the pun) of extract fans that have an inbuilt RH monitor so they open when required and stay closed otherwise.

best of luck and i hope this helps. paint will help but if the above are addressed you are more likely to have a permanent solution

Thanks for the reply.

"try to improve your insulation and keep the internal surface temperatures close to the room temp."

Does internal surface temperature mean the temperature of the ceiling in the room? Will the normal radiator (gas heated) would be enough to heat it or should I install an extra heater (electric)?

I'm very poor in house DIY stuff and don't have knowledge how the roof/ceiling/attic/walls are built. can somebody recommend a tradesmen who can help me to fix this condensation problem by fixing the insulation and other things?

1. yes
2. no extra heating should be required
3. where in the country are you

>All air has moisture in it (internally this should ideally be about 5-60%)
>increased heating is not the answer, heating moisture air causes it to condense (thats what happens when you have a shower)
>condensation happens on cold surfaces (where you haven't insulated properly)
>humidity (moisture in air) is reduced by proper ventilation

so

insulate the attic space properly, reducing any spots where it is not insulated. ventilate the spaces properly, assess this by using an RH sensor
if necessary install an RH sensor fan

1. yes
2. no extra heating should be required
3. where in the country are you

>All air has moisture in it (internally this should ideally be about 5-60%)
>increased heating is not the answer, heating moisture air causes it to condense (thats what happens when you have a shower)
>condensation happens on cold surfaces (where you haven't insulated properly)
>humidity (moisture in air) is reduced by proper ventilation

so

insulate the attic space properly, reducing any spots where it is not insulated. ventilate the spaces properly, assess this by using an RH sensor
if necessary install an RH sensor fan

I'm in Dublin.

Places like B&Q sell humidity controlled extractors. You can set the humidity level you want the extractor to switch on at and leave it work away. I have a Manrose one for about 30 or 40e.

Back