Bath to shower conversion — before moving in or after settling into new home?

bilalahm

New Member
Messages
1
Hi everyone,
We are due to move into a new home shortly and are considering a bathroom upgrade, specifically replacing an existing bathtub with a shower cubicle.
The bathroom is in good working condition, and the tub is not damaged. However, there is some preference within the household towards having a shower instead of a bath.
We are trying to decide whether it is more sensible to carry out this work before moving in, or to live in the property for a few months first and then make a decision based on actual day-to-day use and priorities.
As this is our first home purchase, we are also conscious of:
upfront renovation costs
disruption in a one-bathroom house

Many thanks in advance
Bilal


maintaining a financial buffer after completion
Any advice from people who have been in a similar situation would be appreciated, especially around timing, cost, and whether this type of upgrade is usually better done immediately or after settling in.
 
Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

Thinking of maintaining value in the long term for the house and making it family friendly normally leads people to adopt a shower over the bath with something like an electric shower maybe a Triton which we have always found very handy. Baths are more suitable for young children so with both bath and shower you are catering for all needs.

I cannot abide shower curtains and always buy one of the 4 section shower screens as they are so much easier to keep clean.
 
Taking out a bath and having a shower installed instead is not a small job (as I found out recently). We were advised to go the "whole hog" and have a wet room installed. Our bathroom is upstairs with wooden floor. Our "builder" cocked up installing the "expensive" shower tray back to front and water doesn't flow upwards and the lot had to be re-done. It took weeks instead of days. Whatever grout was used attracted used water like a sponge downwards wetting the ceiling below and affecting the electrics there and beyond. At that stage I regretted having the job done as matters just got worse and worse. It's fixed now, but being the Leper I am, I have no confidence in the builder or his work or workers.

But, to answer your question:- I suggest you occupy the house for a few months before you go ahead with the job and be there while the job is being done.
 
I grew up in houses that only had baths, so when I moved out and discovered showers, I was sold
So 20 years ago I got rid of the bath and installed two walk in shower rooms, one for me downstairs and one for Mrs C upstairs
there is some preference within the household towards having a shower instead of a bath
Without fail and at least four times a year Mrs C will make a comment on how she wishes we kept the bath
And any time we go away and she discovers a bath in the room I know what's going to happen each and every day we stay there

My advice is both keep a bath and wait until you're living in the home before making any alterations that you might regret later on
 
Absolutely move in first. Get to know the house.

to live in the property for a few months first and then make a decision based on actual day-to-day use and priorities.

See if you do actually use the bath.
Then if you are planning to have children, it appears that you need a bath.
 
Whatever grout was used attracted used water like a sponge downwards wetting the ceiling below and affecting the electrics there and beyond.
We want to do the same. Bath out and shower in. We are told that the whole room will need tanking. So, down with all existing walls......even though we will only use one corner of the room for the shower.

I don't understand the need to take down all existing walls, can someone explain?

I wonder was Lep's bathroom even tanked?
 
We are in the fortunate position of having more than one bathroom so removing a bath and installing a shower was a no brainer for us. We retained the existing tiling around the rest of the room and floor. The space around the former bath became the new walk in shower, complete with rainfall shower and recessed shelf with lighting. We tiled that in dark grey to contrast with the all while floor to ceiling in the rest of the room. Installed a new handbasin and cupboard and a new comfort height toilet. Cost was 12k….so even with just the bath replacement and appropriate tiling you are looking at a significant spend. So I’d hold off and see what works for you.

It took about 8 working days.

We were aware that access would likely become an issue in a few years for us, but I’m guessing you are young so I wouldn’t rush into a major spend.
Hang a shower over thr bath, it’s harder to clean and access is an annoyance but I’d kick the can down the road and see what works for you.

In our previous house we pinched a couple of feet off the corner of 2 bedrooms and installed a new bathroom, with walk in shower. Which added to the value of the house as well as giving us a more comfortable shower.
 
Bath out and shower in. We are told that the whole room will need tanking. So, down with all existing walls......even though we will only use one corner of the room for the shower.

I don't understand the need to take down all existing walls, can someone explain?
Had ours done about 5 years ago. They didn't take down any walls but did install moisture resistant plasterboard on all walls and marine plywood and tile-backer on the floor before tanking and tiling. Wall on opposite side to shower tray wasn't tanked I think. No problems since and happy with the job.
Have any of your walls suffered water damage?
 
Last edited:
We are due to move into a new home shortly and are considering a bathroom upgrade, specifically replacing an existing bathtub with a shower cubicle.
Other than maybe putting a shower over the bath I think you should hold on and save your money. Possibly a full bathroom upgrade later when you are clear what you want.
 
Is there any scope for a downstairs extension with an additional shower and bathroom? Might be better to save for that than to remove a working bath. There are bath tap to shower head hose adapters that could give you a more shower like experience in the meantime.
 
What makes them easier to keep clean?

Regularly had to replace them because of build up of mould at the bottom of the curtain. I also regularly tried to clean them with bleach and it was a back breaking job unless they were taken down and cleaned properly. Leaving the shower curtain drawn all the time to dry out rather than folding it back would have helped keep the mould at bay but it is a nuisance. The doors are neater, tidier and easier to keep clean.
 
live in the property for a few months first
Do not underestimate the actual scale of work/disruption involved in any "small job" in a house.
If possible decide before hand as to what you want.
 
I don't understand the need to take down all existing walls, can someone explain?
Bigger job so more revenue may be a motivation, but another might be the contractor simply wants to ensure they are not called back in a few months to deal with complaints of moisture damage. Without at least partial tanking of the room, leaks or water penetrating behind tiles isn't uncommon.
 
upfront renovation costs
No such thing as a small job anymore, unfortunately.. if you ask any installer they will want to rip out the entire bathroom and start a fresh.. I tried getting a quote on same - just remove bath and installing shower, I could find no one who would do it unless it was a complete renovation...
If you do find someone, let me know please :)
 
Regularly had to replace them because of build up of mould at the bottom of the curtain.

This stuff is remarkable for getting rid of mould.

1000025994.webp
 
Back
Top