Bath draining slowly

dodo

The water from the bath is draining slowly ,4 girls use this bath/shower I think it could be hair ,what is the best product to throw down the bath drain to unblock it,

dodo said:
The water from the bath is draining slowly ,4 girls use this bath/shower I think it could be hair ,what is the best product to throw down the bath drain to unblock it,

Try a piece of wire (coat hanger or something softer) with a slight U turn on it, dip the wire down the drainhole - do NOT push it past the S bend - wiggle it around and pull it back up/out, you may have to repeat a few times.
If you're using chemicals make sure that you fully flush out the drain as if they overflow into the bath they may cause slight burns to your feet.

Dodo,

Not sure where you are based, but we found an excellent product in Nolan's Hardware in Clontarf. I think it's called 'Drain Clear' (it has 'The Plumber's choice' written on the side and is in a opaque bottle with an orange label. We use this regularly. Pour and leave to stand for 15 mins and run through loads of water.

When you pour it, smoke-like stuff will come up the plughole, depending on how much hair,etc there is. Open all the windows as the smell of burning can be very strong. Is an excellent product and the only one that works for us - we tried lots of products. We have moved house a number of times in the past 4 years so had to clear a lot of plugholes! We never found it anywhere else only in Nolans. Costs about €8

HTH

D

Baking soda x 2 spoons, followed by a cup of white vinegar, left till fizzing stops, followed by a kettle of boiling water.

Environmentally friendly, and effective.

block the overflow section at the top of the bath with a j cloth or sommit similar, fill the bath to about a third full, let the water drain for a while, then plunge like a madman, once you get a good swoshing action going you will shift your blockage

will give it a try ,also can I unscrew the drain to make hole big so I can use something strong and big to take out the blockage, or will this cause a leak when put back

Once blockage is cleared with the above methods you can buy a small drain cap that fits the top of the plughole, save you having to do it again as you just lift it out and empty.

Mr. Muscle plughole cleaner will do the job in ten minutes. It will go down through the water and clears hair and gunk instantly. Did this myself over the weekend. shower flowing freely again.

Mr. Muscle do a good drain clearing agent in an orange bottle. It is availble in your supermarket. You pour it into the drain, wait a while (cannot remember the lenth of time instrcuted) and then wash it down with water. Does a great job and little work involved for you.

used my auld reliable caustic soda after trying one in woddy's that I put in and had to wait 6 hours before flushing out no good, so the soda did the trick

Back