Basic investment questions

sinbad75

I have just finished reading Alvin Hall's book - your money or your life.
I found the section which shows you how to invest of interest, but I have a number of questions.

1. He has an exercise involving the "virtual" purchase of shares over six months, prior to actually investing - is there any tool on the web to make this easier than setting up your own spreadsheet?

2. Who are the cheapest online stockbrokers, if I want to buy irish and global shares, and how difficult is it to set up an account?

3. Assuming that I do make a profit, I'm a paye worker, and have no idea how to go about paying tax on an investment such as this. What form do you use, where do you get it, if you're selling a a number of different shares, and some have made a loss, can you offset the loss against the profit? How much tax is payable on share profit, and does it differ if they are irish or global shares? Can you offset your capital gains tax?

Alternatively, if someone could direct me to a book/information source where these basic questions could be addressed, that would be great.

Many thanks.

Do fantasy trading or spread betting through the finance section of Yahoo. Then when you have the skills - go for it. Lose fictional money until you learn your craft. But stock trading is not for the inexperienced although to maximise tax efficiencies recommend spread betting.

Bullbearings is a UK site that allows fantasy trading. Gives you a pot of £100,000 to play with.

It would be well worth your while reading up on Warren Buffets investing methods while doing your research

I found investopedia.com to be very useful. They have a stock simulator on that site (although only for US markets I think). But besides that it has a tonne of information for the complete novice to more experienced investors.

It would be well worth your while reading up on Warren Buffets investing methods while doing your research

Can you recommend a specific book on Buffett..I'm looking for one at the minute but not sure which would be the best?

Back