Health Insurance Basic health insurance

Clara78

Hi. I'm looking into health insurance for my partner. Can you please tell me if there is much point in buying a basic package (approx €35) for a 36 year old male with no health issues? The main benefit would be to avoid that cumulative 2% for over 35. But then what other benefits will he have? If in a few years he needs, for example, an MRI, his basic plan won't cover it anyway. Unfortunately, he can't afford anything more expensive than a basic plan now.
I will appreciate your help.

Clara78,

A basic plan covers MRI scans in public hospitals and public scan centres and 66% of the cost if done in a private facility. I'm not sure what the waiting times are like in public hospitals for MRIs currently.
For full private cover for MRIs, the plan worth considering is Laya Flex 500 Explore; price 661pa + 4% loading.
This also covers all public,private and hi-tech hospitals as standard.

A basic plan like 'Laya Assure Protect' price 419 + 4% loading, will just cover public hospitals. The waiting lists are the same regardless if you
have health insurance or not, so its no advantage in that way. An extra 250 premium goes a long way in terms of cover and value for money,
thats if you can afford it, of course.

The main benefit of a basic plan is to keep the loading at 4%, which you already mentioned.
Hope this helps.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you Snowy. Your advice is priceless on this forum. I see that Laya Flex 500 Expl doesn't include GP. What would be your advice for the cheapest public + private hospital (semi-private bed) + some day to day care (GP, consultants, physio) + scans? (no hi tech hospitals).

Regards,
Clara

The following 2 plans cover public and selected private hospitals + some day to day cover + scans + hi-tech(cardiac + orthopaedic surgery).

1. Advantage 500 plus; price 720pa; all public(semi private room), selected private hospital list( check if the selection suits your location), hi-tech just cardiac + orthopaedic surgery. Day to day cover - first 50 not allowed.

2. Advantage 375 plus; price 782pa; all public hospitals(semi-private room), selected private hospital list( check that the list suits your location),
hi-tech cardiac + orthopaedic surgery. Day to day cover - first 50 not allowed.

[broken link removed]

The following 3 plans cover all public, private and hi-tech hospitals, some day to day cover + scans.
There is very little price difference between the Advantage and Flex range of plans - but there is no restriction on choice of hospitals with the Flex range. Details as follows;

1. Flex 500 Plus; price 772pa; all public(including private room),private and hi-tech hospitals covered,day to day cover included - first 50 not allowed.

2. Flex 375 Plus; price 900pa; all public(including private room), private and hi-tech hospitals covered, day to day cover included - first 50 not allowed.

3. Flex 500 Choice; price 955pa; all public(including private room), private and hi-tech hospitals covered, day to day cover included - 1 excess.

[broken link removed]
NOTE; all the above 5 plans will increase in price from July 1st 2016, so signing up in June would be necessary to avoid the price hikes.

A 4% loading will be added onto all the above prices.
If a person has no pre-existing conditions, any new conditions are covered after the first 26 weeks standard waiting time for a new customer.
Day to day expenses are covered straight away.

There is always the option to start off on a basic plan and upgrade say in a few years time, if cash is tight at the moment.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Back