Health Insurance Basic health insurance plan early 40s

Isabel S

Hi,

Looking for a basic health insurance plan, early 40s females in good health. I am not bothered about accomodation; just want basic health insurance in case I need it as I get older or if I need to upgrade in later years. Would it be then semi private in a public hospital that I should be checking? I go to the GP maybe once or twice a year. I had a look at HIA but can't really decipher which one make sense. Any recommendations much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm no expert but I do think public only plans are a waste of time, you need to have access to a private hospital if you actually want to get anything done faster. It really limits you depending on the public hospital beds, I'd be more inclined to pay for the cheapest plan you can get that covers private hospitals near where you live. It's fine to say upgrade later but sure by the time you know you need to upgrade it might be no good!

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you have other expenses that you'd like to be able to claim back, optical, dental, physio etc.

Monbretia, public only plans defeats the point of having private health insurance then.. I will stay away from them. Thanks for the tip, I'd be wasting my money there tbh.

The Oggster- I would be okay with something in 1k-1.2k region (max). I don't have much day to day claims. I had 70 euro for the GP last year. If you know of any reasonable plans at that level, would appreciate it.

Hi,

Looking for a basic health insurance plan, early 40s females in good health. I am not bothered about accomodation; just want basic health insurance in case I need it as I get older or if I need to upgrade in later years. Would it be then semi private in a public hospital that I should be checking? I go to the GP maybe once or twice a year. I had a look at HIA but can't really decipher which one make sense. Any recommendations much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Isabel S,

Given that you are taking out health insurance for the first time in your early forties you will be subject to a 2% levy for every year over the age of 35. This levy will expire after ten years of continuous health insurance cover.

In these circumstances and given your budget I suggest you give some consideration to LAYA's Signify plan. It will get your foot on the ladder and you may upgrade as you see fit in future years. This plan offers full cover up to semi private room level in private hospitals including the Beacon. The inpatient excess for private hospitals is €250 payable on the first two admissions per year. The everyday medical expenses excess is €150. The current price of this plan is €926 before levies are added.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Hi Isabel S,

Given that you are taking out health insurance for the first time in your early forties you will be subject to a 2% levy for every year over the age of 35. This levy will expire after ten years of continuous health insurance cover.

In these circumstances and given your budget I suggest you give some consideration to LAYA's Signify plan. It will get your foot on the ladder and you may upgrade as you see fit in future years. This plan offers full cover up to semi private room level in private hospitals including the Beacon. The inpatient excess for private hospitals is €250 payable on the first two admissions per year. The everyday medical expenses excess is €150. The current price of this plan is €926 before levies are added.

I hope this is helpful.
That plan sounds ideal Riomhaire, I will check it out now. I had private health insurance up to about 2 years ago, does that make a difference to levy of 2%? Thanks

That plan sounds ideal Riomhaire, I will check it out now. I had private health insurance up to about 2 years ago, does that make a difference to levy of 2%? Thanks

Hi Isabel S,

The simple answer to your question is that it should make a difference. The following is an answer to a a frequently asked question on Life Time Community Rating from the HIA website:

"Yes, if you take out inpatient private health insurance after 30 April 2015, your previous periods of cover will be taken into account in calculating the loading that will apply to you. If you had continuous cover for the period 1 May 2009 to 30 April 2015, the insurer will consider you to have had continuous cover since the age of 23, even if you have no proof of cover prior to 1 May 2009. If you did not have continuous cover for the period 1 May 2009 to 30 April 2015, but you held insurance prior to 1 May 2009, the onus is on you to prove you held insurance at that time"

I suspect that you will have to make a case for yourself. I suggest you get all your ducks in a row before you engage with a provider about this.

I hope this is helpful.

Hi Isabel S,

The simple answer to your question is that it should make a difference. The following is an answer to a a frequently asked question on Life Time Community Rating from the HIA website:

"Yes, if you take out inpatient private health insurance after 30 April 2015, your previous periods of cover will be taken into account in calculating the loading that will apply to you. If you had continuous cover for the period 1 May 2009 to 30 April 2015, the insurer will consider you to have had continuous cover since the age of 23, even if you have no proof of cover prior to 1 May 2009. If you did not have continuous cover for the period 1 May 2009 to 30 April 2015, but you held insurance prior to 1 May 2009, the onus is on you to prove you held insurance at that time"

I suspect that you will have to make a case for yourself. I suggest you get all your ducks in a row before you engage with a provider about this.

I hope this is helpful.

Similar to OP but older (51) had continuous UK medical cover 2012-2020 is non Irish cover eligible for consideration, what is the position on broken medical cover e.g. cover pre 2004 then cover again 2012-2020, is only 2012 onwards considered though think it would be hard to get details of earlier cover from employers etc.
Is that age loading 2% per year over 35 that's incredible 32% in my case, what's the rationale for that, I remember seeing something about when I was still in UK.

Similar to OP but older (51) had continuous UK medical cover 2012-2020 is non Irish cover eligible for consideration, what is the position on broken medical cover e.g. cover pre 2004 then cover again 2012-2020, is only 2012 onwards considered though think it would be hard to get details of earlier cover from employers etc.
Is that age loading 2% per year over 35 that's incredible 32% in my case, what's the rationale for that, I remember seeing something about when I was still in UK.
I believe it's completely up to the insurance company themselves what they wish to recognise. They don't have to recognise time abroad at all. Best bet would be to find an appropriate plan from each provider, using the HIA comparison website, then get a quote from each provider and see if they'll waive/reduce any loading or waiting periods (5 years for pre existing conditions).

The reason for the loading is to ensure the community rating works, whereby the price of a plan is the same of everybody, regardless of pre existing conditions, amount of claims or current age etc. It's to stop people holding off from insurance for years and only taking out a policy when they get much older and are likely to claim soon after. In effect your basically back paying for the years you didn't have insurance and therefore didn't contribute to the pot before taking out of it. It's works well for people who live in Ireland permanently but it's really terrible for those who leave and come back or arrive for the first time as there is no mandatory provision for these people. Other than getting an exemption from an insurance company's good will, it's either pay the loading or rely on the public system.

Hi All,

To update, I went for Laya's Signify Plus Plan, it worked out at 840 euro. I paid in one installment, which was cheaper than monthly payments for the year. I did send them my previous health insurance records (2011-2018), which actually removed the levy charge. Might be useful for Chewbacca if he/she wants to check.

Also, I was wondering if the public only health insurance plans only work if a consultant takes on private work in a public hospital and regarding accomodation, is it subject to private room availability in a public hospital -assume they put you in a public ward if not. (Asking for a relative on this). Thanks.

Back