Health Insurance Basic health cover

Summertime123

Hi
I am recently separated and need to change insurance. My EH will continue to pay insurance for the children so I just need my own cover. I am early 40's and very healthy thankfully, I have recently been approved for a gp visit card. Day to day cover is not important to me but cost is a major concern. I am looking for advice on the best basic plan available that will give me some level of cover should the need arise
Thanks

Hi Summertime123,

Welcome to AAM.
The cheapest basic health cover plan is Future Protect, with Laya Healthcare, price 495pa.
This plan just covers public hospital cover.

There is also a good basic option with Glohealth, called Kick Off plan, price 589pa.
This plan also just covers public hospitals but with an added option to upgrade to a private hospital plan, at any time outside of
renewal date, if surgery in a private hospital is needed. No waiting would apply to upgrade, which would normally be a 2 year waiting time.

[broken link removed]

Plans including public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, start at 744pa.
The following link shows a selection of 6 plans that cover public, private and some hi-tech hospital cover, worth considering, according to
your budget;
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks for your help, really appreciated. What is hi tech hospital cover and in what instances does it make a real difference? I have 4 dependent children and things are very tight financially but I am also conscious of the importance of my own health and need to be covered properly should I need it.

Summertime123,

Hi-tech hospital cover means cover for Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Beacon hospital. Its not a 'must' as the private hospitals will
cover all the surgery required.
One instance where it can come in very handy and makes a real difference is if you need to go to an A + E dept. These three hi-tech hospitals
have their own private emergency depts, 150 initial cost to be seen and assessed. Scans, blood tests, etc are done straight away and results
returned within a few hours. Some of these tests are directly covered by the health insurer and some can be claimed at the end of year claim.

A consultant can then either admit you there and then or discuss what plan of action is required. A max charge of 600 applies if the cost of tests
start mounting up, which can then be claimed at the end of year.

Plans including this cover start at 756pa Laya Flex 500 Explore
or VHI PMI 44 16 price 1050pa.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Back