Barring order

Poc-ar-buille

Few weeks back a friend received a barring order

Situation involved alcohol in the home

Wondering how these things usually pan out?

Do people get back together?

Last edited:
A baring order is usually granted initially on a temporary and 'ex parte' basis - this means that the person seeking the baring order goes to court and gets an emergency, short term order and the person they wish to have excluded from the house isn't represented in court.

To continue the baring order after this initial period there has to be a full court hearing in which both sides participate. It is not uncommon that temporary baring orders are not made permanent at this stage.

I am not a lawyer so your friend urgently needs to get legal advice at this stage and a solicitor to represent him or her. They also need to address their issues with alcohol for their own sake and for the sake of their chances of successfully contesting the temporary baring order.

A baring order is usually granted initially on a temporary and 'ex parte' basis - this means that the person seeking the baring order goes to court and gets an emergency, short term order and the person they wish to have excluded from the house isn't represented in court.

To continue the baring order after this initial period there has to be a full court hearing in which both sides participate. It is not uncommon that temporary baring orders are not made permanent at this stage.

I am not a lawyer so your friend urgently needs to get legal advice at this stage and a solicitor to represent him or her. They also need to address their issues with alcohol for their own sake and for the sake of their chances of successfully contesting the temporary baring order.
A 12 month barring order was agreed

Bear in mind that if it's come to the stage of a barring order then, even if the individual magically kicks the drink and stays off it at the first attempt (very unusual in my experience), significant damage has very likely already been done to the family, relationships, individuals, children (if applicable - and this includes adult children), friends, and even stuff like finances, and the likelyhood is that they may not recover such that they go back to normal (if there ever was normality). I don't know what "usually" happens but I'm speaking from my own first and second hand experience. We certainly didn't get back together and the repercussions of alcoholism still reverberate many years later. If I was to offer any advice to anybody dealing with a partner with an addiction it would be, cut your losses as soon as possible and go your separate ways. Especially if there are kids involved - with the capable/responsible partner taking care of them. The odds are severely stacked against sticking it out being the best course of action.

Last edited:
Back