Barcelona V Madrid

joanmul

What do you think the merits of Barcelona versus Madrid for a weeks holiday in late April would be? Also Ryanair fly to two airports in Barcelona, Girona and Reus. Does one have advantages over the other? Thanks, folks.

Both of them have more than enough to keep you entertained for a week, and at prices quite reasonable by Irish standards. Which one is "better" is really just a matter of personal taste (FWIW I'd come down on the Madrid side of things).

If you're not on a really strict budget, you could always do both. Check out Vueling and Air Europa's internal flights.

Haven't been to Madrid but I have been to Barcelona which I would absolutely have no hesitation in recommending.

A guy I know has been to both cities and he said that while Madrid is a great city in itself, he would prefer Barcelona; he also felt that Madrid is more of a formal/posh city in comparison.

Having been to both cities, I would choose Barcelona over Madrid although I found the drink and eating out was much cheaper in Madrid.

They are both beautiful cities with fantastic architecture and museums. I think the people in Barcelona were friendlier and the place had a better buzz. You have the bonus of having some nice beaches in Barcelona,

he also felt that Madrid is more of a formal/posh city in comparison.

That's funny, one of the reasons I prefer Madrid is that it strikes me as more of an authentic city in the London/New York vein, whereas Barcelona strikes me as more of an artsy/touristy place.

But as I said earlier - it's all a matter of personal taste!

Dunno about Reus but Girona is a good hour outside Barcelona and Ryanair's bus costs around €20 return.

The trip from Reus to your destination at Barcelona isn't for the faint-hearted. 90 minute bus ride to the central bus/train station (Estacio Sants) followed by metro connection to anywhere in the city. You wouldn't want to be encumbered by heavy bags/kids/grannies.

I'd agree with the view that Barcelona was more touristy, but both have nice independent shops (fashion/crafts/food) and seem to have avoided the infestation of branded chain stores.

Back