Barcelona Hotel Recommendation

MBoyle

Could anyone recommend a decent hotel in Barcelona please?
Going there in June.
Looking for somewhere reasonably nice, central and not too expensive.
Can anyone help please?
Also, what should we go to see when in Barcelona?

Thanks in advance guys!

We stayed in Grand Marina eurostars in barcleona for st patricks weekend.
we got a great deal on the hotels website for 250 for 3 nights.
Its best to pick the hotel you want and then look for a deal.

We stayed at the Hotel Lleo a few years ago. It was just off La Ramblas which was very nice and not too expensive ,at the time.

I stayed in the Live and Dream hotel which is handy from the airport. Get the train to PlaceSants and 5 minutes walk. Area is nice and hotel is clean and reasonable.

Regarding sights to see....

I enjoyed visiting the decent aquarium at the seafront.

Got a cablecar up the hill and visited the fort, decent museum up there with all sorts of weapons etc

I didn't fancy the cablecar out over the harbour.

Some people visit the soccer stadium.

Most people visit the cathedral La Sagrada Familia.

We did the city bus tour and this brings tourists to a lot, well worth spending a day on it at your own pace.

Along the bus tour route we got off at an old convent, medieval I think. It is preserved and has lots of things to see.

A few Irish bars around if you are thirsting for a bulmers.

When we were there a few years ago, we ate some fantastic tapas / pinchos. Forget about anything you've eaten, outside of Spain, called tapas. What's on offer over there is the best.

Can't remember the bar name, but will update if I can find it again. At 8pm they brought out plates and trays of a staggering variety. When you'd had enough, you paid on the basis of the cocktail sticks left on your plate.

On another evening we stopped off at an oprdinary looking bar for some beer. While at the counter waiting for the drink, I saw some bread and cheese (probably manchega) being served so asked for some. Lightly toasted bread, cheese and some olive oil - absolutely delicious.

H10 is in my experience good .. they're a smart relatively cheap Spanish chain - I've stayed in their "Universitat" and "Casanova" ones - both were good, especially given the reasonable price (sub 100EUR a night I think ) - Rooms were on the small side, but smartly done - I don't care about small rooms when in a city as I will really only be sleeping there - [broken link removed]

I can highly recommend the Hotel Jazz, just off Playa Catalunya. We stayed there last year and found it very comfortable and convenient. It's walking distance to Las Ramblas and you have the airport bus and several Metro stations within easy reach. It's clean and modern with a lovely roof top pool and terrace.

As for sights, definitely the Sagrada Familia, take a picnic in Parc Guell and visit the Magic Fountain of Montjuic at night. We also enjoyed the Nou Camp but I think that depends on your interest!

We stayed at Hotel Icaria in March. Very reasonably priced. 10 minute walk to beach, shops, restaurants. No. 14 bus leaves from outside to city centre. City sightseeing bus is very good. Loads to do in Barcelona to suit all interests. Enjoy!

Stayed in the Miramar few yrs back and it was pure luxury :)!!its up a hill overlooking Las Ramblas but scenery was amaze. Would recommend :)

A day trip to Monserrat is really lovely - fabulous views from the furnicular or cable car. Nice monastry and great hill walking. Easy access on the train.

Flamenco and dinner at and also just a walk around the gift shops at Poble Espanyol.

Dinner late in the outside tables at this restaurant. Lots of street entertainers stop outside every night. http://www.cheeseme.org/

Tapas lunch on the floating restaurant
http://barcelona-guide.info/restaurant-luz-de-gas-port-vell

Late night dinner at any of the waterside restaurants.

A boat trip around the bay.

An afternoon on the beach.

The aquarium.

Open top bus tour - handy to get off and see the gallery.

Picasso museum. Sex museum.

I wouldnt' stay in a hotel. I'd opt for an apartment in El Born. Lovely old style apartments in the old town - all pedestrianised streets with nice cafes, bars, restaurants and gothic churches.

And PLEASE be aware of where your wallet is at all times in Barcelona. I've been over and back quite a bit in the last few years with no bother but on the last visit my hubby's wallet was robbed from his pocket when in a crowd on an escalator.

So please be careful at all times..no wallets in back pockets.

Other than the high level of pick pocketing, its a lovely city and I've always had a good time there so enjoy!

Back