Bankruptcy in the UK

P

PRepublic

Hi,

Has anyone ever gone bankrupt in the UK? From what I hear many people from the Republic are declaring bankruptcy in the UK because it is a simple process for an Irish person to do and in the UK you are only bankrupt for 12 month before being free of your debts (as opposed to 12 years in Ireland).

We're working with a new client that helps people declare bankruptcy in the UK and are looking for case studies of anyone from Ireland that has done this, for a feature in the media. You won't have to give anyway your identity as it can be done anonymously, but we want to give feedback for people that have gone through the process.

Apparently all they say you need to do is get a UK address, a utility bill in your a name at that address and a UK bank account. Has anyone done this?

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

From what I hear many people from the Republic are declaring bankruptcy in the UK because it is a simple process for an Irish person to do and in the UK you are only bankrupt for 12 month before being free of your debts (as opposed to 12 years in Ireland).

We're working with a new client that helps people declare bankruptcy in the UK and are looking for case studies of anyone from Ireland that has done this, for a feature in the media.
I'm confused. If you're working with a company that helps people to do this then surely THEY can put you in contact with people who have gone through the process? Am I missing something here...?
Apparently all they say you need to do is get a UK address, a utility bill in your a name at that address and a UK bank account. Has anyone done this?
That does not seem to tally with this (highlighting is mine):

Can I make myself bankrupt in England or Wales if I live abroad?
It could depend on which country you live in or how long you have lived abroad.
If you are living in a European Union (EU) member state, except Denmark, you must be able to show to the court that your centre of main interests is in the UK. If you live in another part of the world, including Denmark, you can present a bankruptcy petition in England or Wales if:
(a) you are personally present in England and Wales on the day you present your petition for bankruptcy to the court; or
(b) you have lived or carried on business in England and Wales in the previous three years.
The country in which you live may not recognise the bankruptcy proceedings and creditors may still be able to take action against you in the country you live in.

Back